Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:01 PM   #1

Default OT: US Cell Phone Providers did incredibly well

for Haiti earthquake fundraising. 24 hours after the quake, they had set up a system where folks could text a $10 donation to the Red Cross and others from their cell phones, and have it billed to their cell phone accounts. (Dunno if this also happened in other countries.)

I mention this only because I am a senior manager in a software development company and I'm wondering if folks on this forum really understand the effort that took. The cell phone providers had to reconfigure their financial systems, which are locked down at a CMMi level 4 or 5. So what you see here is a commitment from the CEOs on down thru the management chain to the developers, to shove aside everything they were doing and make that work. The developers had to have spent a 24-hour day to get the change thru development, QA testing, and into their production financial systems. Trust me, that was an amazing effort. I am very impressed.

Ted

PS to keep this on topic, one could assume that some of the developers use Oly cameras...

(grin)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:05 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
for Haiti earthquake fundraising. 24 hours after the quake, they had set up a system where folks could text a $10 donation to the Red Cross and others from their cell phones, and have it billed to their cell phone accounts. (Dunno if this also happened in other countries.)

I mention this only because I am a senior manager in a software development company and I'm wondering if folks on this forum really understand the effort that took. The cell phone providers had to reconfigure their financial systems, which are locked down at a CMMi level 4 or 5. So what you see here is a commitment from the CEOs on down thru the management chain to the developers, to shove aside everything they were doing and make that work. The developers had to have spent a 24-hour day to get the change thru development, QA testing, and into their production financial systems. Trust me, that was an amazing effort. I am very impressed.

Ted

PS to keep this on topic, one could assume that some of the developers use Oly cameras...

(grin)
that is a very sad event. glad to see people coming together to do what they can to help out with this miserable crisis.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

Ted

(grin)

Ted,

I did not know that..............
So, thank you for educating me as to the effort required to implement such a program.

Altogether, too often we take for granted (I'm guilty) that this is a simple matter of a few lines of code that need to be written then the execs meet to sign off, and it's a done deal.

My heart goes out to all those currently waiting to hear word that their family and loved ones are safe in the middle of that awful disaster.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

My heart goes out to all those currently waiting to hear word that their family and loved ones are safe in the middle of that awful disaster.
Mine too. But I didn't intend to use this forum for that purpose - I just wanted to say that big US companies are capable of extraordinary effort. And that I am impressed, just because I have some idea as to what effort that took.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:29 PM   #5

Maybe there should be a Off Topic break room on the forum.

But yes that was a pretty quick turnaround to get all those software to be implemented into the GGSN's and media gateways of their core networks.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 7:50 AM   #6

The move came a day after celebrity couple Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt donated $1 million to the relief effort and as Hollywood figures reach out to fans to urge them to donate to the cause.

Former Fugees star Wyclef Jean, who was born in Haiti, has urged the public to donate money to help the rescue efforts in his native country, by texting a number to his Haitian charity the Yele Foundation.

A statement from Pitt and Jolie read: "We are devastated by the news from Haiti. We will work closely with our good friend Wyclef Jean to support the humanitarian efforts on the island and help.

Social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook have quickly grown to become an integral part of aid organizations' fund-raising campaigns over the last two days. A host of 140-character messages have spread over the internet to reach thousands of eyes in the space of seconds.

Facebook statuses also changed, urging followers to help those stranded in grief-stricken areas through monetary donations to reputable organizations.

Aid organizations took advantage of the real-time web and new technologies, posting updates on social networks and helping to make as many people aware of the situation as possible.
suzane89 is offline   Reply With Quote