Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:58 AM   #11

....thanks, makes sense to me, looking forward to more from the L1 & some of those great Oly lenses you have.

I getting happy here with temps all week in the high 60s, maybe getting out a bit this week for things other than yard-work.

Yesterday I charged cam-batteries so I am ready for some outdoors !
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:09 AM   #12

Don't tell the moderators (grin) but that image was all Panny. The L1 is a retro design where the shutter speed and f-stops are chosen on respective mechanical dials. I have two PL lenses, both of which have an aperture ring so they work more intuitively with the L1 than the Oly lenses do. (You can use Oly lenses on it and I do, but it's not so intuitive with them.) And the Leica D 14-50 has ILIS which is nice because the L1 doesn't have IBIS.

The L1 isn't much good for low-light imaging and I love the E-3 for that, but for daylight I find myself grabbing the L1. The PL 14-150 would be a great lens to have for it, but I need another expensive lens like a hole in the head.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:12 PM   #13

Hi Greg,

This is a very well composed shot. I like it very much.

Hey Ted,

I'm glad you posted a shot using your new Panny dslr. I hope you post some more as I've been curious about the output of that particular unit. Have your tried using the Panny lenses on the E-3? If so, what's been your experience as to speed, performance and image quality ? I'm especially interested in the ILIS
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Have your tried using the Panny lenses on the E-3? If so, what's been your experience as to speed, performance and image quality ? I'm especially interested in the ILIS
Zig
Hi, Zig

I've used the two PL lenses on the E-3, I got them long before I got the L1.

They're great lenses and the 14-50 was my working lens on my E-500 and then the E-3 before I got the SHG f/2 lenses. It's IQ is good enough (when Pop Photo tested it they said it was the best zoom lens they had ever tested) that I never saw a reason to try to sell it to get the ZD 12-60. Now I'm glad I didn't sell it - it gives me IS on the L1 like it did on the E-500.

The PL 25 also has great IQ but it front-focuses on the E-3; works great on the L1.

You can't use ILIS and IBIS at the same time (they tend to fight each other) so I had the ILIS on the 14-50 turned off when I used it on the E-3. The ILIS works well although you don't see that much improvement from any IS system until you get to longer telephoto lenses.

Basically, the PL lenses really are designed by Leica and inherit that IQ. One of the unsung benefits of the 4/3 system is that you have two outstanding lens manufacturers available.

Ted
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:08 PM   #15

Default Thanks Ted

Hey Ted,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've always been interested in getting the E-1 because of its' weather sealing as well as the images it consistently produces.
I've thought that it would make a great camera to bring on the boat. I hesitate to do that with the E-30. The only caveat is the lack of image stabilization in the E-1. My thought was to get an E-1 and put a Panny 14-50 on it. Having said that, I'm not sure if the Panny lenses are weather tight or not. That just might put the kabosh on that idea.

Zig
Old Jan 20, 2010, 5:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Having said that, I'm not sure if the Panny lenses are weather tight or not. That just might put the kabosh on that idea. Zig
None of the Panny/Leica lenses are weather sealed.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:35 PM   #17

Greg is right. But I believe the ZD 12-60 is weathersealed, and in that FL range any IS will get you at most 1 stop so it may not matter that much to you. As Wrotniak says and in my experience, IS doesn't really come into its own until you get to long FL lenses. You may find that with an E1 and the ZD 12-60 (which unless I'm mistaken you already have) you'll be fine on a boat.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Greg is right. But I believe the ZD 12-60 is weathersealed, and in that FL range any IS will get you at most 1 stop so it may not matter that much to you. As Wrotniak says and in my experience, IS doesn't really come into its own until you get to long FL lenses. You may find that with an E1 and the ZD 12-60 (which unless I'm mistaken you already have) you'll be fine on a boat.
Thanks Greg and Ted. I was afraid of that.

Ted,
I do have the 12-60mm and yes, I do believe it's weather sealed. As for IS, the tremor in my right hand has progressed to the point that without IS, almost all of my images come out blurry. It's got to the point that I pretty much use the monopod these days wherever I go. A monopod on a boat doesn't work so well.

Zig