Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 19, 2010, 9:21 AM   #1

Default trip to the shore

Spent the weekend visiting my son and his family in Portsmouth NH. We had a snowstorm blow through Saturday night. Decided to take a ride along the shore Sunday morning hoping to take a few shots of the rocky coastline.Unfortunately, the wind was howling and it was raining quite heavily. So much so, that I ended up taking pictures while sitting in the car with the window rolled down to keep the rain from landing on the lens.

Here's a few using the E-30 with 12-60mm SWD lens. Yes, the lens is drip proof and weather sealed. But I was trying to keep the rain drops off of the front element so as not to spoil the image.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2

What a gray, cold, blustery day that looks like. I never would have left the car either.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Yikes! That looks so freakin' COLD! Beautiful, but COLD!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:44 PM   #4

Hi, Zig

I really like these. They capture the east coast winter mood very well.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 3:17 PM   #5

Quote:
They capture the east coast winter mood very well
, said Ted

Zig,
........I've never seen the East coast first hand but I will agree with what Ted said.

These are so appropriate for the 'pano-crop' ........... really nice.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:30 PM   #6

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the kind comments.

I'm always surprised at how cold and bleak the shore is during the Winter.
After living near the beach for the last 16years, I would have thought I'd be used to it by now.

Bob,
Yes, I do like pano shots as well. I tried to take a series of images to stitch together in order to make a true panorama. But that just didn't work out .
So, cropping was the next best thing.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:17 PM   #7

zig: I got cold just looking at those! Brrrr!!!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:18 PM   #8

Hi Steven,
thanks..

Hey how are you folks doing as far as the weather is concerned. Have things moderated a bit. Have any of your flowers and bushes survived the cold spell?

Zig
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Steven,
thanks..

Hey how are you folks doing as far as the weather is concerned. Have things moderated a bit. Have any of your flowers and bushes survived the cold spell?

Zig
I lost practically all my flowers, and probably one of my palm trees, but that's not a big deal compared to some of the agriculture damage. We also lost most of the fish in the lake behind my house.

You're a fisherman, but I don't know if you heard that there were major ocean fish kills from the cold on both coasts, all the way to the upper keys. The state of Florida canceled the Snook season until September 1, 2010. A lot of fishing guides are hurting, as so many ocean fish were killed by the cold. Are you going to do any fishing when you come down?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I lost practically all my flowers, and probably one of my palm trees, but that's not a big deal compared to some of the agriculture damage. We also lost most of the fish in the lake behind my house.

You're a fisherman, but I don't know if you heard that there were major ocean fish kills from the cold on both coasts, all the way to the upper keys. The state of Florida canceled the Snook season until September 1, 2010. A lot of fishing guides are hurting, as so many ocean fish were killed by the cold. Are you going to do any fishing when you come down?
Hi Steven,

I just found out about the catastrophic ocean fish kills yesterday when talking to a friend in Ft. Myers. Unless, you're a fisherman, few people fully understand the economic impact such an incident has on the local people who make their living supporting commercial and recreational fishing. Never mind, the loss of a major food source. According to data provided by the American Sportfishing Association, Americaís 60 million anglers generate over $45 billion in retail sales with a $125 billion impact on the nationís economy creating employment for over one million people. There will, no doubt, be a lot of people in Florida who will be financially impacted by this.

Zig

And yes, I do plan on bringing my fly fishing gear. Although, my camera stuff will probably get more use. And, this year, for the first time in my life, I'm going to go to a Spring Training Baseball game.