Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:35 PM   #11

Just checked and the virtual memory is already set to 6434MB, so I'll see what happens going forward.

*last entry here* Well, I'm taking this program off my computer. It's crashed so many times tonight I lost count. In the end I tried opening and it closed before completely opening at least 6-7 times, saying there was a "problem with windows". Life's too short, and in this case it's a shame because the program is so good.

I guess for the price (nothing) I got a little more than my money's worth. Onwards to Kelby's ACR and Photoshop seiminar next Friday.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 23, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 6:56 AM   #12

Hi, Greg

I'm sorry to hear that Raw Therapee hasn't fixed those problems, which seem to have been ongoing for a long time.

Thanks for mentioning the Scott Kelby workshop. I had forgotten that he did live seminars and it turns out he's doing the same one you're going to in Arlington, in DC in March. Let me know what you think of it - I need to learn PShop better and if you think it's good I'll sign up for the March one here.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:15 AM   #13
Administrator

I did some digging around, and from what it appears, the problem may be a .dll included in the windows version named librtengine.dll (which you'll find in the directory for raw therapee under Program Files).

One forum post there suggested replacing it with the librtengine.dll found in Raw Therapee 2.4.2 RC1. I just uploaded this .dll to a couple of file sharing services (note that the second link is only good for 10 downloads):

http://sendshack.com/download/2z35av3

http://rapidshare.com/files/33982247...ngine.dll.html

But, your best bet may be to try the newer 3.0 alpha 1 and see if it does what you need.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Hi, Greg

I'm sorry to hear that Raw Therapee hasn't fixed those problems, which seem to have been ongoing for a long time.

Thanks for mentioning the Scott Kelby workshop. I had forgotten that he did live seminars and it turns out he's doing the same one you're going to in Arlington, in DC in March. Let me know what you think of it - I need to learn PShop better and if you think it's good I'll sign up for the March one here.

Ted
Hi Ted,

Over the last few years, I've bought or received as gifts 5 of Scott Kelby's books. His personality really comes through in his books. If his seminars are anything like the books, they should be a hoot and a great take.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:28 AM   #15

Hi Greg,
Sorry to hear of your lousy experience with RAW Therapee. But I do agree with your solution-Life REALLY is too short.

That's why, after all the frustration I had with my PC, I switched over to the IMac and life has been bliss.

Also, I do hope you post your experience at the Kelby seminar. I too, am interested in taking one of his courses when he comes around to my neck of the woods.

Zig
Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:37 AM   #16

Quote:
I switched over to the IMac and life has been bliss
Zig,
....you are pushing me, I told Bonnie about you & your iMAC blissfulness, it is hard to tell yet how concerned Bonnie is of my NEEDS but I'm feeling the warmth!

As for 'Therapee' I've had it loaded for several years now and occasionally get into it, the newest iteration seems to run fine when I work with it.

I've been strong supporter to 'shareware' authors of good work for the past 20+ years (Bulletin Board sysop and code writing mentality caused it) and Horvath's work is one of the really good results. I am not surprised the code is now released to the open code society; I am surprised the code has not been bought up as was RawShooter..... maybe the Therapee code is a bit too short of the commercial competition after all, but it certainly is worth trying before buying.

In the end however I use BibblePro v.5.0; when I change to MAC that version of BPro will load and run just fine on the license I now have.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:20 AM   #17

I now run lightroom almost exclusively.

Prior I used a free program called IDimager and I liked it. I cannot remember why I left the program and moved to lightroom, but there was an improvement in workflow and highlight recovery with the move.

http://www.idimager.com/store/software

The "lite" program used to be free and I don't know if it still is. A couple processed in my earlier digital pics with the IDimager.

All were with the E500 and 40-150 f3.5-4.5 kit lens.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Zig,
....you are pushing me, I told Bonnie about you & your iMAC blissfulness, it is hard to tell yet how concerned Bonnie is of my NEEDS but I'm feeling the warmth!

Sorry if I've caused any rift between you and the missus..........(smile)
But, I do hope you get a Mac. You too will be in bliss!

Zig
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
But, your best bet may be to try the newer 3.0 alpha 1 and see if it does what you need.
Outta sheer, morbid curiosity, I did this just to see what might be different. First time I opened it.....it crashed as soon as the screen came up.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,
Sorry to hear of your lousy experience with RAW Therapee. But I do agree with your solution-Life REALLY is too short.

That's why, after all the frustration I had with my PC, I switched over to the IMac and life has been bliss.

Also, I do hope you post your experience at the Kelby seminar. I too, am interested in taking one of his courses when he comes around to my neck of the woods.

Zig
My girlfriend has the 20 inch iMac. the screen is soooo glossy. Do you have one of the newer models? She just bought hers last year. I bought her the Mac version of Elements and neither she or I do well on that machine because of that screen.

The day schedule for the Kelby seminar is quite extensive and all day. Can't wait to go. When that's over at 5pm, I'll be in the car going back to Dallas to go to the Stars game that evening at 7:30pm and will be using the E30 for action the first time.