Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:29 PM   #1

Default RAW Therapee...anyone else here tried it?

Last night while doodling around with some files I did something I've been meaning to do for a while....download RAW Therapee to give it a try.

I had *tried* it a while back before upgrading from an almost 6 year-old PC which was woefully underpowered for anything today and, predictably, the program crashed my system several times and that was the end of that experiment.

I downloaded version 2.4.1 last night on my replacement PC and started working some E620 and E30 RAW files and was really, really impressed with what a program that costs nothing can get you. I'm going out there tonight and sending the guy a contribution through PayPal.

I haven't loaded anything yet to my website so have nothing to post here image-wise, but it is a super impressive program for anyone looking for something other than the basic Master that comes with an Olympus DSLR and the price is definitely right.

You can work any type file, be it RAW, JPEG or TIFF. It has impressive highlight and shadow retention programing....very customizable, and it is very intuitive. I need to download and read the manual as there's tons of stuff I was playing with and had little idea what I was doing other than simply moving the sliders and watching the results, and the colors come out looking very nice. I played with a few ISO 1600 RAW images I shot using the E620 at an NHL game and was very impressed after outputting unsharpened JPEG's to Photoshop and using Noiseware Professional to clean them up.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:40 PM   #2

I tried it out a while back, Greg. I found it very similar to Bibble. I like DigiKam. It's a native Linux app but I believe they make one for Windows.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jan 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:50 PM   #3
Administrator

You may want to try Raw Therapee 3.0 Alpha 1 and see what you think, too.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ed...under-gpl.html

The author decided to release it under the GPL (whereas it was free but still closed source in the past). So, my guess is that more developers will get involved and help out with improvements now, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:07 AM   #4

I saw the Alpha version when I downloaded this version and decided to go with the "finished" program!

What I'm liking so far with this program is the color pallette, which looks a lot like what you get out of Studio, but in a much more capable program like ACR.

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...70421570_BcrkJ

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:08 AM   #5
Super Moderator

those look great. love the color and contrast especially in the horse and the umbrella shots. thanks for posting!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:36 AM   #6

Hi Greg,

I like the results. The horse racing image really stands out to me...That and the plane. From an educational standpoint, it would be great to see a couple of before and after images.

BTW, I had Raw Therapee on my PC (an older version) and tried it some.I never did take the time to fully explore it's capabilities. Now that I've got an IMac, I'm pretty happy with the current version of PSE 8 combined with Adobe's ACR 5.6.
My current upgrade path with respect to editing software, is at some point getting CS4. But, I'm not in a hurry.

Also, I don't believe the Raw Therapee is available for a Mac OS.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:54 AM   #7

This program really must be a processor hog. Last night as I was playing with it some more, it closed on me 2-3 times and another couple of other times just locked up, never completely opening a folder of images....just stopped working, and I'm working today with a machine using an Intel i7 processor and 6GB of RAM that just flies with no issues when in Photoshop CS4. The only issue I could possibly see is my system is 64-bit and RAW Therapee is only available in 32-bit. Could that be a problem? I know just enough about this type stuff to get myself into trouble sometimes.

Note: After typing the above, I googled the problem and found this. Sounds like a common issue.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1593

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Administrator

I dunno. Which version of windows (I'm assuming Win 7 given that you seem to have a newer PC)?

I have seen some posts about problems setting a pagefile size with it (used for virtual memory). So, that could be the culprit (needing more virtual memory for creating previews when viewing large folders of images, since CS4 uses it's own scratch space).

Here's one thread on the subject (trying to find a way so that Windows 7 uses a pagefile properly after an upgrade from Vista). I'd check the pagefile size and make sure it's adequate as a first step.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...9-d418a7f5cda0

You may want to try 3.0 Alpha 1 and see how that works instead.

I don't use Windows much. But, Raw Therapee 2.4.1 is stable under Linux on my PCs. I haven't played with the new 3.0 Alpha 1 release much yet.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:21 AM   #9

I bought my machine last February with Vista installed and it has been very stable for everything I have run on it until RAW Therapee last night. Haven't done the Windows 7 "upgrade"(tongue in cheek)......yet. I'd rather wait for someone else to figure most of the issues and get a version that's been sorted out a little more. Sill too new for me.

I'll try and figure out what you said and see if it helps. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Administrator

Here's where the paging file size is set. I'd check to make sure it's not disabled:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...virtual-memory

If it's already set to Automatically Manage the size, you may want to try a manual setting instead (for example, 4000MB or so) and see if that helps, in case it's running out of memory somewhere when building previews for larger folders.

If you still have issues, I'd just visit the software's forums and see if anyone else knows what could be causing it (cache entries in Raw Therapee preferences, etc.)