Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:19 PM   #1

Default Macro Lens For EP-2

Hello,

I am considering getting the EP-2 in March/April. I am looking at adding a good macro lens to it.

Right now I am looking at getting the olympus m4/3 to 4/3 adopter, and getting the zuikio 35mm macro.

What do you all think about this setup and how good is this macro lens. Compactness is big, so I did not consider the Zuikio 50mm marco. Any other suggestion for a compact macro lens?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:28 PM   #2
Super Moderator

that would probably be the best bet if you are looking to stay compact. and with a 2x multiplier, the resultant 70mm is not bad.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Hello,

I am considering getting the EP-2 in March/April. I am looking at adding a good macro lens to it.

Right now I am looking at getting the olympus m4/3 to 4/3 adopter, and getting the zuikio 35mm macro.

What do you all think about this setup and how good is this macro lens. Compactness is big, so I did not consider the Zuikio 50mm marco. Any other suggestion for a compact macro lens?

Thanks
As far as size, there is little difference between the two. There is a weight difference. The 50 f2 is about twice as heavy.

Both are great. Very sharp.

The only downfall to your proposed setup is lack of flash, and that would certainly impact size. If you get close, you will need to stop down for DOF, and as you do, shutter speed can fall to a point that flash is the easiest solution. The popup flash on the DSLR really works quite well. You would need to carry a seperate unit.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:12 PM   #4

Thanks Greg,

I have thought about the flash, but the lack of a pop up flash is not a major concern. This is a travel camera. And the type of macro my wife like to take why traveling are daylight shots of flowers and butterflies.

If the 35mm lens can handle this requirement without a flash that would be great. As long as this lens will do handheld macro, at say 1:2 or 1:3 it should be fine. When she wants to do big macro work, she will be using my T1i with a ef 100mm macro lens and tripod.

So will the 35mm lens meet these needs?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Thanks Greg,

So will the 35mm lens meet these needs?

Thanks
A few with no flash and the 35 macro. I was very close for these, and all were at f11 in bright sun.

The 35 macro really is a spectacular piece of glass. It is extremely light and its output is right at the level of the 50 f2. It is capable of 1 to 1 magnification, while its bigger brother can only do half of that. Its a steal at the price.

I guess I've found out a couple things here. First, I'm not using the 35 macro enough. I guess the 50 f2 is like a comfortable pair of shoes that its the first I reach for. Second, I've become reliant on the flash units. I do like the natural shadows in macro, but it can take more work.

I'm good at f11 on a sunny day. I think you'll do well at the working distance you describe with the DOF available. I'd say its a very good fit for the camera.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:23 AM   #6

Thank Greg for the info.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:40 AM   #7

Also look at Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 Macro this is a m4/3 lens but is not out yet and will cost a lot!
whitepass is offline   Reply With Quote