Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:45 PM   #1

Default Zig - R U OK?

I'm looking at the weather report and it appears that you're getting pounded with snow. Are you OK?

Ted

PS: To keep this OT, post pix. (grin)
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:30 PM   #2

Default Hi Ted

Hi Ted,

Aside from some nasty wind that's howling outside, the weather is pretty quiet. Partly cloudy and in the mid 20's. We're not supposed to get any precip. here 'til Monday.

This is what I was doing this evening, when I thought I'd take a break and see what the latest posts were. I was a bit surprised to see your post, in that, not much is goin' on here.

I was messin' with an old Konica Hexanon AR 50mm 1.7 lens and decided to take a few pictures of salt water flies I've been tying the last few days.
ISO 320, f16, 1/15 sec.no flash white balance cwb5400k

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pics using the panny L1, perhaps with an Oly lens.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:36 PM   #3

Another fly. This is one of my concoctions. taken with an E-30 12-60mm lens
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2010, 8:45 PM   #4
Super Moderator

that blue fly is absolutely great. wonderful craftmanship!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:50 PM   #5

Default How much DR has Oly given up to get higher ISO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,
I was a bit surprised to see your post, in that, not much is goin' on here.
The weather report here on the news said Boston was going to get dumped with snow. After you said that, I checked the NWS forecast which says nothin going on. Go figure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pics using the panny L1, perhaps with an Oly lens.
Maybe this weekend, when we're supposed to actually see the sun.

Meanwhile, I've been on the Net and stewing about what the heck happened to DR in Oly DSLRs. I posted a photo on page 1 of Greg's "A Bendn the Path" thread. It's not a great photo but if you could see the original jpeg you would be blown away at the DR of that unprocessed out-of-the-camera jpeg from the L1. I've never seen that DR from any of the 5 Oly DSLRs I've owned. And I assume owners of the E-300 have the same experience, since it's the same sensor and engine as far as I know. So how much DR did Oly give up in chasing after better high-ISO/higher MP images?

I love Oly DSLRs and I don't mean to keep beating the drum about the L1. But that cam has really opened my eyes about what a good DSLR can do and how much easier a DSLR with mechanical controls can be to use, rather than menu-driven controls. (When the L1 was introduced, Harj made that point but at the time I didn't appreciate his point like I do now - I'm pretty slow sometimes.) And whether Oly has slipped a lot on DR with their choice of sensors.

Some members of this forum have the Oly E300. I'd be very interested in knowing if they think the DR of newer Oly cams has slipped compared to the E-300.

Ted
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
that blue fly is absolutely great. wonderful craftmanship!
Thank you. Here's the original photo without all the photoshop mods.
Attached Images

Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The weather report here on the news said Boston was going to get dumped with snow. After you said that, I checked the NWS forecast which says nothin going on. Go figure...

Maybe this weekend, when we're supposed to actually see the sun.

Meanwhile, I've been on the Net and stewing about what the heck happened to DR in Oly DSLRs. I posted a photo on page 1 of Greg's "A Bendn the Path" thread. It's not a great photo but if you could see the original jpeg you would be blown away at the DR of that unprocessed out-of-the-camera jpeg from the L1. I've never seen that DR from any of the 5 Oly DSLRs I've owned. And I assume owners of the E-300 have the same experience, since it's the same sensor and engine as far as I know. So how much DR did Oly give up in chasing after better high-ISO/higher MP images?

I love Oly DSLRs and I don't mean to keep beating the drum about the L1. But that cam has really opened my eyes about what a good DSLR can do and how much easier a DSLR with mechanical controls can be to use, rather than menu-driven controls. (When the L1 was introduced, Harj made that point but at the time I didn't appreciate his point like I do now - I'm pretty slow sometimes.) And whether Oly has slipped a lot on DR with their choice of sensors.

Some members of this forum have the Oly E300. I'd be very interested in knowing if they think the DR of newer Oly cams has slipped compared to the E-300.

Ted
Hi Ted,

You raise an interesting question. The E-300 employed the same Kodak CCD KAF8300CE 8MP sensor that was used in the next dslr that Olympus introduced, the E-500. According to tests run by Wrotniak, the sensor DR was 64.4db as compared to the E-1 whose sensor had a superior 67db DR.

My first Oly dslr was the E-500 and I loved the output of that camera, as long as I didn't go over an ISO range of 800. If I strayed above that, the noise was not acceptable to me. I upgraded to the E-510 when it was first released, because of it's IS capabilities. To be fair to the E-500, I also didn't own at the time the 50-200mm or the 12-60mm. My suspicion is that I would have been a lot happier with the low light performance of the E-500 if I had owned faster lenses.

Now, you have me thinking about the dr of the E-500. I'll have to go back and see if I can find shots taken with it and review them.

So, in addition to E-300 owners, those that still use the E-500 can chime in on your question of DR.

Zig
Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:33 AM   #8

Hi, Zig

It also occurs to me that it's possible that the better DR I'm seeing is a result of a better jpeg processing engine. When I get a chance I'll try shooting an identical high DR image in RAW with the L1, E500, and E3 (and maybe the E20). I'll need a weekend day with sunshine, though.

Ted