Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2010, 7:27 AM   #1

Default Photograping Flying Subjects

A number of members of this forum enjoy photographing birds or aircraft in flight.

Andy Elliott (Cambridge, UK) is a master at this. See some of his terrific images here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries...ry.php/cat/776

The reason I mention this is because some other members of the E3 forum at Four Thirds User asked him for advice and he graciously provided a detailed collection of tips in the following thread:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...0163#post50163

You may find this helpful.

Ted

Edit: His tips are mostly general to Oly DSLRs, not just the E3. Also, FWIW it appears that the 4/3User forum uses the same forum software that Steve's uses.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jan 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:39 PM   #2

An interesting topic for me. Thanks for the post and the link.

I am satisfied with the E-3 for most of my shooting. I'll admit frustration in my eagle shooting trip. I was just as much frustrated with MY abilities as I was with the equipment. I simply wasn't up to the task. I need more practice, plain and simple.

That said, I did run into several equipment limitations. The batteries weren't up to operation at -14F. The autofocus of the E-3 is known for needing a strong battery for reliable autofocus, and I had issues with it even being able to take a single frame if at ambient temperature. I've never been a fan of battery grips, but I may need to reconsider.

When you take a look at a camera such as Canon's 1D4, they have a processor exclusively dedicated to focus tracking. There are extensive programs to determine the estimated position for the next frame. They are far ahead of the E-3's ability here, and Nikon's are a measure above the Canon's as most will confess. That kind of performance comes at a cost at three times the price.

Oly trails with a single processor that does all functions and that article is about limiting the processor load to allow more clock cycles to focus concerns. Somewhere along the line we'll see what Oly decides to do with the next generation of the E-x. With the action photography I do, they will have a better chance of my upgrading if they improve in this area.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
An interesting topic for me. Thanks for the post and the link.

Greg
Hi, Greg. I was hoping folks would find it useful - glad you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
That said, I did run into several equipment limitations. The batteries weren't up to operation at -14F.
Greg
No battery really is. Batteries generate electricity based on chemical reactions and chemical reaction rates are proportional to temperature. They really don't like -14F.

Folks in cold climates in the US are used to keeping their engine oil warm with electric heaters, but vehicles operating in the Antarctic also have fuel-fired heaters to keep the batteries warm, or no one will get the vehicles started. (My father used to design vehicles for Antarctic use.)

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jan 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:41 PM   #4

Hi Greg,

As much as I'd love to see Olympus come out with a fully redesigned body that would be on par with the Nikons and Canons in terms of tracking, AF speed and high ISO performance, I just don't think that they are seriously looking at that end of the market. I base my purely speculative opinion on the belief that, even if Olympus were to design and release such a camera body, who would actually buy it. Most likely, just current Oly dslr users such as you and I. I can't see anyone currently using a Nikon or Canon with a very large investment in glass and other hardware sell off their current equip. and buy into an Olympus system. Why buy a me too product, unless it was head and shoulders above anything out there right now.

Money talks, especially in a down market as is the case right now. The EP-2 seems, by all accounts, to be doing okay around the world. Olympus will continue to push new equipment and related accessories for that product line. Superzooms also continue to do well, so I expect more releases within that end of the business.

Olympus can also argue that they have spent a lot of money within the 4/3rds market as both the E-620 and E-30 have been released in the last 12 months.

I would like to think that, currently locked up in a design department are a group of talented engineers cooking up a radically improved full featured dslr body.......Then I come to my senses and say NAAAH!!, ain't gonna happen.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

I would like to think that, currently locked up in a design department are a group of talented engineers cooking up a radically improved full featured dslr body.......Then I come to my senses and say NAAAH!!, ain't gonna happen.

Zig
I tend to agree with that. Oly has said as much when they stated that the two would be developed side by side and one would benefit from advances made by the other.

The advances will be made in the contrast detect autofocus, as is necessary with the mirrorless design. I doubt any real steps forward with their phase detect methods. Unless there is a true breakthrough with the micro's focus system that leapfrogs the phase detection (not likely) then I think the gap will only grow. The way the EP-2 can put a box around the subject as it moves around the frame does offer some hope though.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote