Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 23, 2010, 8:20 PM   #1

Default An eagle for fldspringer!

It has warmed up around here, and I got out to do some bird shots today. Couldn't help but think of northern Greg and his frigid shots of eagles in Iowa. Thought I would share a few of my bird shots from today.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:54 AM   #2

Good looking captures, Steven. Well exposed and really sharp.
I'm guessing you took those with the 40-150mm lens.

If I may ask, where were the photos taken? I've been thinking about visiting some wildlife centers and aviaries while in Marco. Have any suggestions?

I spoke to my friend in the Keys yesterday, looks like the weather is getting back to normal for this time of year. Sunny temps in the mid 80's.

He did tell me that the massive fish kill extended all the way down into the Keys. He said that the stench of dead fish is in the air all along the shoreline.
Quite a horrible situation.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:16 AM   #3

It looks like you remained much warmer, and were able to get much closer.

What majestic shots. They are a beautiful bird.

I had a blast in Iowa. The cold left me there in solitude in large measure. I was the only one nuts enough to be out there in the morning cold. I could watch the individual birds and how good they were at hunting. Some of the older birds were able to take wing, quickly grab a fish they had already spotted, and return to the trees. The inexperienced would begin to fidget which was a sign they would soon take wing. They would then fly up and down the channel until they found something. Many times they would miss and resume hunting.

I wanted closer shots of pearched birds, but wasn't able to get clear, unobstructed views at close range. It really made me wish for a boat as they are used to that drifting by. That and they face the water when perched. How about one of these.

http://www.protatch.com/Scout510.htm

This has been a crappy winter for photos. Every weekend has been overcast and snow becomes featureless in that lighting. I'm working about 60 hours during the weekdays and its dark when I leave for work and dark when I return home. The Iowa trip was the one weekend I had a chance to get out in better conditions. The cabin fever is in full swing here.

Thanks for the Eagle pics. Only problem is your feeding the cabin fever too. You blankety-blank southern folks are beginning to get on my flipp'n nerves.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
].........
I'm guessing you took those with the 40-150mm lens.

If I may ask, where were the photos taken? I've been thinking about visiting some wildlife centers and aviaries while in Marco. Have any suggestions?

...I spoke to my friend in the Keys yesterday, looks like the weather is getting back to normal for this time of year. Sunny temps in the mid 80's.

He did tell me that the massive fish kill extended all the way down into the Keys. He said that the stench of dead fish is in the air all along the shoreline.
Quite a horrible situation.
Yep, taken with the Zuiko 40-150 lens, at Tampa's Lowery Park Zoo, an excellent zoo with a wide variety of animals. It's a pleasant place to spend some time with a camera. Living in the Tampa area, the Busch Gardens, the Florida Aquarium, and the Tampa zoo are great places to take your camera, and Disney's animal Kingdom is an easy drive.

I'm not familiar with the wildlife centers down the southwest coast. But when I lived in Ft Lauderdale, I liked to go to the Miami Zoo, Miami's Parrot Jungle and West Palm Beach for Lion County Safari

Yes, not only hurting the sport fishing industry, the tourists near the water are not liking the smell in the air. Hopfully it will be okay by the time you get down here.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
......Thanks for the Eagle pics. Only problem is your feeding the cabin fever too. You blankety-blank southern folks are beginning to get on my flipp'n nerves.

Greg
I understand your feelings; I freely admit that you northern guys are stronger than me. I've become a wimp in cold weather now that I'm an old man. I know that I could not have been out in that weather you had on your Iowa trip. However, you should do like zig, and fly down to southern Florida for a couple of weeks every winter. It would re-charge your batteries. (And we Floridians sure appreciate the money that you guys spend down here!!! You northern folks are the reason that we don't have state income tax down here. LOL!!)
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:53 PM   #6

Default Got a few milliseconds of better light.

Can't come visit. The dogs would wind up as gator bait. You state will have to rely on Zig to contribute to your financial well being.

They aren't eagles, but I actually tripped the shutter a few times.

and im loosing the sun here again.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote