Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:37 PM   #1

Default E30 and 40-150 kit lens

I'm taking my E30 and the 40-150 f4-5.6 kit lens to a Dallas Stars game this evening. Security concerns hold me back from trying the 70-300...too darn cold to be told I'd have to take it back to the car if they determined it was too long for me to bring in, and the 40-150 has never been a problem. Later this weekend I should have some images from the game.

A couple of evenings ago I used this combination to try a few subjects from my window at the office to see the type resolution the combination could achieve. I shot these RAW and, using a few tips I learned today at the Kelby class in Arlington, produced these JPEGs. The ACR tools I learned more about today that I incoporated in these is, I learned just how intelligent the vibrance slider is, and how good the Target Adjustment Tool in the Tone Curve page works.

This first image is shot at 150mm and wide open at f5.6 and ISO 200.

I know I said the 40-150, but had to slip this one in, shot with the 9-18 at 9mm. You can see the buildings in the above shot at the back of this image.

Another shot at 150mm, wide open at f5.6 and ISO 400.

Another shot at 150mm and wide open at f5.6 and ISO 200. This dome is visible in the shot taken with the 9-18 to see the range of focal lengths you can cover using the 9-18 and 40-150 two lens combination.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:56 PM   #2

Pretty danged versatile set. Looking forward to the game shots.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:13 PM   #3

Hi Greg,

These images taken with the 40-150mm lens wide open are pretty darned good. Very good indeed for a 'kit' lens that can be had for around 100bucks.

It causes me to wonder why anyone would want to spend money on a used legacy lens that needs an adapter (more money), has no auto focus, etc. when this little lens is so versatile.

Now, before I get beat up for saying that, if you already have older legacy lenses and want to use them on a dslr, well that's a different matter. You've already made the investment.

I got a taste of how difficult it is to properly photograph an indoor JV girls basketball game the other day. The lighting inside was okay - not good.
It was such that I had to set the ISO to 1600 to maintain a shutter speed of 1/160sec. with the 50-200mm wide open. I'd never tried that before and thought it would be a learning experience, which it was. I learned that I have a lot to learn about placement, anticipating where the action is going,
positioning myself to photograph the player at the free throw line, moving around the arena for better angles. I'm hoping to go to a few more games this season and work at it.

Anyways, I'll be looking forward to seeing your shots with that combo from
tonights game.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 29, 2010 at 8:16 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

I shot these RAW and, using a few tips I learned today at the Kelby class in Arlington, produced these JPEGs. The ACR tools I learned more about today that I incoporated in these is, I learned just how intelligent the vibrance slider is, and how good the Target Adjustment Tool in the Tone Curve page works.
Hi, Greg

So do you think Kelby's class was good?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:29 PM   #5

He's a very good "Live" instructor. I'm glad I went.

The "class" was huge....over 700 were in attendance, a total sellout. I did not stay until the end at 5pm. The main pieces I wanted to hear about, his 7 step ACR process and portrait re-touching, both happened in the morning session. The booklet they gave out is very good, with lots of space to take notes.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:19 AM   #6

Hi Ted Have to agree with Greg on Kelby - I've been watching and learning from his LR 2.x tutorials and its been a total revalation. He really knows ACR/LR inside out and explains it in such an easy way that's been just eye opening. I didn;t get the book as I always have a hard time trying to sit down and learn app's from them and so I went for a computer based one. I'm looking forward to see what he puts together for LR3. A little tip for helping to improve image sharpness (without sharpening) in ACR or LR: landscapes in ACR or LR is to set clarity between 50-100%, Portraits - 25-30% There's so many little gems hidden in LR/ACR that you just simply miss without someone like kelby showing you. Cheers Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jan 30, 2010 at 6:29 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:42 PM   #7

He even had a cool tip for utilizing Unsharp Mask to increase outline contrast!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:50 PM   #8

You know the other great thing about Kelby and the way he works is that I always used to look at my pics and then spend hours and days deciding which to retouch and then spend weeks doing just that. Now Kelby's LR tutorial's really show you how to make Lr shine and one aspact is to create custom categories that you use to manage your pics and then filter and filter more until you really have just those pics that are actually worth retouching. Its been just such a good way to work - makes you more methodical and clinical about what you should actually spend time on PP. Greg mentioned retouching, well, did you know that with LR2.x + that you can do a fair amount of retouching in LR and not go into PSHOP if you don;t really need to! It may be just basic esp compared to PSHOP but knowing that tip and being able to see how he uses it has been just great - I now do a fair amount of retouching in LR before working on the file in PSHOP.

Greg, how did you find being in a class that big .. I mean 700 just seems a crazy number of bods !

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jan 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:25 AM   #9

It was big!

They had a large hall with plenty of seats and room. He had two very large screens where the monitor was displayed while he showed the process for each application he was talking about for the day, and the workbook they gave to each participant followed step by step. It was well thought out and he was able to hold to the schedule for the day very well.

They took about a 15 minute break between each 60-75 minute module for people to stretch their legs and he stayed at the front for anyone who had questions.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:42 AM   #10

Three additional images shot with the E30 and 40-150 f4-5.6. These were shot as in-camera JPEG's with all in-camera parameters set to -0-, then did some additional processing in Adobe Camera RAW, primarily using the Targeted Adjustment Tool in the Tone Curves window, with a little additional sharpening added.

Set to default parameters, in-camera JPEG's from the E30 can stand up to a lot of post processing in ACR and come out looking great. The main difference I see in processing a RAW file vs. a JPEG is, the JPEG will build up contrast a lot faster, and adjustments in the tone curve window can be much more subtle using a RAW file since all the data is still "there", but JPEG files still produce wonderful results out of ACR.

and another shot with the "other" lens I was carrying, the 9-18 f4-5.6..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 2, 2010 at 12:50 AM.