Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Some More Open-Ice shots

Have just processed another round of images from last Friday night at the Stars vs. Colorado Avalanche.

Stand still, close your eyes and pray it doesn't hit you somewhere that hurts too much..

Attacking the zone..

One on Five..

The puck zooms past..

Care to venture a guess about the hardest thing to deal with when shooting from behind the goal?

Action in front of the visitors' bench..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:39 AM   #2

Default A possible answer to your question

My guess is the people seated in front of you popping up each time there is some action worth photographing.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
My guess is the people seated in front of you popping up each time there is some action worth photographing.
Yep!

My ticket for the game was in the corner. I moved for a while to the end row at the top behind the net, until those people all finally showed up during the second period, then moved down to the row from the top. Next time, I am buying a seat in the last row where I can just stand up and shoot whenever I want. I really liked that vantage point, and I'll take the 70-300, which will be more than enough to zoom way in on that far goal.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:19 PM   #4

Last night (Feb 3) I ran several files through Olympus Studio, which is a great way to see how images would have turned out had they been shot using the in-camera JPEG engine since the first two sections of the RAW editor basically mimics the in-camera parameter settings. I even added a white balance adjustment similar to what you can do internally with the camera, and I liked the output even better than the RAW files I processed because the noise filter setting of LOW that was implemented in Studio did an excellent job, where I used no noise reduction at all in the RAW conversions I processed in ACR and Photoshop.

Just another lesson for me of how good the JPEG engine of the E30 is, especially if you set your parameters up to correctly do white balance under artificial lighting.