Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
yes, considering how much it shares in common with its more expensive brethren, looks to be a great value and very interesting.

i was just wondering how easy is it to adjust the aperture/shutter settings in their respective modes?
Not as easy as with the nice control dial on the E-P1/2. You have to press the EV Comp. button (Up on the 4-way) to access the aperture/shutter values, then use the Up/Down/Left/Right arrows on the 4-way to change the values; depending on which mode you are in.

Due to a short loan period, and rushing to get the First Look put together, I didn't get as much "play" time with it as I would have liked.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:13 PM   #32

Quote:

i was just wondering how easy is it to adjust the aperture/shutter settings in their respective modes?
Based on what I've read to this point, it will not be as easy as I had originally hoped.
Those familiar with the super control panel of the latest E-XXX series cameras and how it functions, know how easy it is to navigate thru the various settings as well as quickly change them simply by using the arrow and okay button. For the most part, one doesn't have to go deep into the menus at all.
I thought at first, that the aperture and shutter settings, etc would be able to be changed much the same way. Sounds like, based on what I've read, to this point, the camera will give you some settings to choose from. Though, this may prove to be of no concern.

The bigger gotcha (to me), is limiting the shutter speed to 1/2000. This too may become a moot point as all the lenses being made, right now, are pretty slow.

O
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:14 PM   #33

Quote:
yes, considering how much it shares in common with its more expensive brethren, looks to be a great value and very interesting.

In their preview, the folks at DPReview intimate the numerous button pushes it takes to do certain things will seem monotonous to DSLR users...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34432951

Seeing this looks to be aimed more at point & shooters, manually setting aperture and shutter speeds as well as possibly other usually easy settings you can make with any DSLR may be a bit more of a pain.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

The bigger gotcha (to me), is limiting the shutter speed to 1/2000. This too may become a moot point as all the lenses being made, right now, are pretty slow.

O
But Olympus will still push being able to use current 4/3rd's system lenses via the adaptor with this camera and some of those are fast enough that 1/2000 second will be an issue, although I would guess the AF performance will still be quite lacking compared to using an actual micro four-thirds lens.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:09 PM   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Not as easy as with the nice control dial on the E-P1/2. You have to press the EV Comp. button (Up on the 4-way) to access the aperture/shutter values, then use the Up/Down/Left/Right arrows on the 4-way to change the values; depending on which mode you are in.

Due to a short loan period, and rushing to get the First Look put together, I didn't get as much "play" time with it as I would have liked.
thanks for the info billy, I was hoping it wouldn't require the extra button push, or at least it would have the ability to assign the Fcn buttons to it or something. I guess when you get the production model, will know for sure.

Quote:

yea, that seems like an odd place to cut corners.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:55 PM   #36

Here's a link to an interesting post written by Doug Brown on the DPreview
mFT Forum regarding first impressions on the E-PL1. Even more interesting is
a photograph of the sensor employed in the E-P1 vs a typical sensor found in a P&S digicam. The photo really drives home the point of why the point and shoot buyers are going to love this camera.

forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=34432082

Do keep in mind that the post is written from an existing Olympus DSLR user.
So, it might sound a tad biased.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:12 PM   #37

Thanks Zig for the link. Yes it is a tad bias, but it has some interesting point.

So for for me, I can over look the added step in setting the AV and TV modes, and the 1/2000 sec as the top speed. I look at this camera for what it is. A very light weight evil that gives great abilities. I doubt any of the epen's would be ideal for high action shots. It just does not have the AF system. If I shoot high action, as higher end dslr still would be my camera of choice.

For a traveler and landscape, cityscape shoot. It actually meets the need their needs in a small compact package with lens options. Think this thing will be a good augment to my t1i for my travel needs. And it is 300 bucks cheaper then the EP2 set up I was looking with the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and oly 35mm macro lens. And big plus in my book and worth the added step.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:27 PM   #38

Quote:
In the meantime, I just did a double take as I read Michael Reichmann's (Luminous Landscape) comments on the E-P2. where he says that the E-p2 is turning out to be a much more enjoyable camera to use than he first anticipated....
I think the E-PL1 will kill both, the EP1 and EP2. Neither have built-in flash, which is a huge draw back of these two models, specially when compared against the GF1. Having an external flash goes against the principal of portability. Besides, the EP2 is way over priced so I see EP1/EP2 sales and price dropping like a rock.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I've obviously read too many different posts on the E-PL1 today..........

Just went back and re-read the E-PL1 info on 43 rumors. Here's what they printed on their site::

U.S. Pricing / Product Configurations
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 918mm F4.05.6 Estimated Street Price: $699.99
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14150mm F4.05.6 Estimated Street Price: $599.99
If that's the REAL price for the camera & the 14-150mm, then it's a steal!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:26 PM   #40

It is coming with either the 14-42mm to the 17mm. I just check the amazon, adorama and bhphoto pre order sites for the epl-1, but deliveries are not expected till April, not march.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 3, 2010 at 6:31 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote