Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:28 PM   #51

BiN, I do not know that one
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Interesting.....

In Japan, they are offering a twin lens E-PL1 kit, camera with the 14-42mm & the 14-150mm lens for around $1100 USD, as an initial price. This will come down quickly of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'm not so sure I can agree with you.

I think the price will drop only if the E-PL1 or the 14-150mm lens (or both) are lousy performers, which is highly doubtful. Remember, the 14 - 150mm lens lists at 599 USD. So, the 2 lens kit @ 1100 USD is 100bucks below list.

I gotta tell ya, my gut is telling me that the E-PL1 is going to be flying off the shelves. .... And, when the 14-150mm is officially released, it too will fly off the shelves- unless it's really bad.

Imagine having a 10X lens on a body like the E-PL1.
These prices in Japan ALWAYS drop maybe 20%, after a couple of months after release. That's the way it works in Japan.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
BiN, I do not know that one
That's short for "Buy it Now".

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:18 PM   #54

Default Wanna see a video?

Just checked my e-mail and got one from Olympus America talking about the new E-PL1. It also includes a nifty video.

Here's the link:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se.../productVideos

If the link doesn't work, just go to olympusamerica.com

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:37 PM   #55

I've got the same email from Oly. The more I read about the EPL1, the more I realize that it won't be long before the hype is over. Yes, Oly added flash and a dedicated movie button but they stripped some of the features of the EP1/EP2, which I really like. The EPL1 has no dial button, no AEL/AEF button, no dedicated ISO/WB/custom button, etc. To me, its really nice to have these functions at your finger tip. Also, the body is mostly plastic (although no one can say whether its build quality is better or worse since the camera is not out yet). So, I have advertised my EP1 on Craigslist but I'm about to pull the ad out and keep it!

Tullio
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:53 PM   #56

I was just going through the specs. If you use the super control mode, you can use is like a regular dslr, just no dial. There is are Aperture priority mode, Manual, and Shutter priority besides the other auto modes. I think I can deal with using the arrow keys vs a dial for the travel ability of this little camera and all the features and it give push HD.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 5, 2010 at 9:40 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:45 PM   #57

To me, nothing beats the ability to change settings via dials and wheels. It's fast and convenient. I was comparing the back of my EP1 vs. the EPL1 picture and I see a huge difference. I can change all sorts of settings w/o having to access the menu and that's awesome. The EP1 is a real nice camera in terms of build, design, features and most of its functionality. So for now, I'll keep my EP1 until Oly comes up with a replacement that incorporates a built-in EVF (not as an accessory).

Tullio
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:13 AM   #58

That will just add to the size of the Pen's which will make them more in line with a GH1 or G1 in size with a built in EVF. The GF1 went with the smaller removable evf to keep the size down. So unless Oly is going after the GH1 and G1 segment of m4/3 it may be a while before a incorporated evf makes it into compact m4/3 like the current pen's.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:15 AM   #59

I bet Panasonic's next project is a GF-1 sized camera with a built in EVF.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:23 AM   #60

I think that will just add more size with the current technologies. They have gotten them really small, but if the EVF is even smaller then the removable evf that the gf1 has. It would not be worth having. As it is really tiny currently. At least with the pen's evf, it is a nice usable size for framing, with great resolution compare to the one for the gf1.