Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:41 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
I bet Panasonic's next project is a GF-1 sized camera with a built in EVF.
That'd be real nice!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That will just add to the size of the Pen's which will make them more in line with a GH1 or G1 in size with a built in EVF....
Not necessarily. I don't believe the G1/GH1 are that much bigger simply because they incorporate an EVF. It's a totally different body design and I believe the idea was to make a camera that would be like a DSLR in terms of looks but much smaller. For starters, the grip does not have to be as deep, which adds quite a bit to the overall size of the camera. The you have the swivel LCD (it needs room in order to fold in and flush with the back), a larger battery size (thus a larger battery compartment), etc, etc, etc.

Take a look at the Canon G11. It has a very clever design, which incorporates just about everything we are talking about in a body that's not much larger (if at all) than the EPL1. So, I think it is doable and even if the size increases a bit, it will still be smaller, much more convenient and easier to carry than having the EVF be a separate piece attached to the top of the camera as an accessory. At least the EPL1 incorporates a built in flash because on the EP2, you can't have the EVF and flash simultaneously.

Tullio
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:32 AM   #63

I put the EP-2 next to the G1, and it is actually larger, not a huge difference. But still larger. And for someone looking for more compact for traveling, it could be a deal breaker.

There is a big difference in size between the G11 and epen's sensor size so they have more room for other thngs. It just takes up more room. So for oly to put a evf into the pen or panny into the g series. It will either have to be really small or you will need to add size. Also the G11's vf is very tiny. Think the gf1's add on has a bigger viewing area.

I just look at the pen's and GF1 for what they are. Very well suited for the purpose they were design for.

But as thinks get more miniaturize we will hopefully see better evf with the larger sensors in a more compact body.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:42 PM   #64

To me, the biggest difference between the EP1 and the GF1 is the IS (the flash also but the EPL1 takes care of that). Since I like to shoot with old vintage MF lenses, having the in-body IS is a huge plus. However, not having the EVF is a huge minus because performing MF holding the camera away from your body is not an easy task. So, the lack of one feature offsets the addition of the other. In the end, I end up using the G1 for MF shooting leaving the EP1 for regular shooting with AF lenses.

Tullio
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:09 PM   #65

The removable EVF for the EP-2 and EPL-1 is a really good one. I was comparing them at the shop, and the oly removable one is allot larger and way clearer. And for me the ability to remove it to pack down more effetely is a plus.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:46 PM   #66

Wouldn't it be better if you didn't have to remove it at all (and pack)?

Tullio
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:55 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Wouldn't it be better if you didn't have to remove it at all (and pack)?
Actually no, since removing it gives you a more rectangular sharp. I remove my lenses from the body when traveling also. So when I am traveling super light, that will let me pack more effectively then having the hump or the vf and lens. Just something I have notice from my travels.