Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hey Ted,

Bring in another load of firewood and stoke up the fireplace. You guys certainly have had your share of downright nasty weather blowing through this Winter.
We've actually been lucky . Other than the weather being dreary and cold, we haven't had a great deal of snow-Yet. And, it looks as if we're on the periphery of this next one. Right now, forecast is for high winds and a few inches of the white stuff.
The National Weather Service came up with a new icon for this storm. The first icon is for normal snow. I hadn't seen the second one before - it's for a blizzard (i.e. white-out)...
Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Those are real good images, Zig. Are you still using the E510? I sometime regret having sold mine.
Hi Tullio,

The photos were taken using an E-30. I sold my E-510 back in April. As you're probably aware, the E-30 utilizes the same sensor as the E-P1, etc. I for one, am quite happy with the image quality as compared to the E-510. No more worrying about blown highlights. It's much superior photographic tool.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The National Weather Service came up with a new icon for this storm. The first icon is for normal snow. I hadn't seen the second one before - it's for a blizzard (i.e. white-out)...
Gee Louise, Ted
It's never a good thing when the National Weather Service comes up with a new icon for a storm heading your way.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi Tullio,
...No more worrying about blown highlights....
Zig
Reason why I sold mine. I really like the EP1 capabilities. At first I was not going to buy it due to the lack of an in-body flash. Then I thought...I can use the G1 when I need flash and the EP1 when I don't. It worked real well. The only thing I miss on the EP1 is an EVF when shooting with MF lenses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 2:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Gee Louise, Ted
It's never a good thing when the National Weather Service comes up with a new icon for a storm heading your way.
Hah - I hear you! The issue here is that with 2'+ of snow, this is not an issue of plowing the snow away, it's an issue of moving the snow away. The DC metro area will not be functional on Monday, and there's an ice storm forecast for Tuesday. Oy!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:06 PM   #16

Snow blizzards can be beautiful, as long as you're not an animal living outside.

(E-3 & ZD 9-18, out-of-the-cam jpeg)
Attached Images

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 5, 2010 at 5:10 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Snow blizzards can be beautiful, as long as you're not an animal living outside.

(E-3 & ZD 9-18, out-of-the-cam jpeg)
Ted, hope you don't have to go outside; it's looking like you are in for a rough time up there. Will be thinking of you guys and hope the electricity stay on.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:34 PM   #18

Thanks Steven! I'm planning to go exactly nowhere this weekend.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 6, 2010 at 7:47 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:11 AM   #19

.........thinking of y'all NE of us, that front laid down a miserable 3 days of wet here, but rain only.

Today was really nice AND DRY but only for a couple days then next week beginning Monday it turns very cold again with low temps in the 20s AND MORE RAIN for us all next week and I recon that one will wind its way toward you after it finishes here.

The photo would make a nice calendar pic, stay in and warm Ted.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:46 AM   #20

Thanks, Bob - I thought that was a good pic also.

We have over 2' of snow down right now with some 8" forcast for today. And the wind is blowing it into much higher drifts. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow but I don't think the roads will be cleared up by Monday. This isn't an issue of snow plowing, it's an issue of snow removal.

And yes, we're supposed to get your weather Tuesday night. But snow, not rain.

'Ya know those Christmas decorations that are a string of hanging lights that are supposed to look like icicles? All of us have them here now except they're real, not electrical. (grin)

But so far we haven't lost power - a true miracle 'cause the electrical infrastructure is rather fragile.

Ted