Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:11 PM   #1

Default new 520 user

Just made the plunge and bought a e520 with 2 lenses and a 4 gb card for 479. Now i see there is a micro 4/3 camera out. Am i experiencing buyers remorse here. The 520 is on the fed ex truck right now.

Is there a major difference between the two? OR i guess the micro 4/3 and standard 4/3 cameras?

I am a brand new SLR user. I plan on taking pictures of my everyday life which includes kids, dogs, sports. etc... I have handled the 520 in a store and like how it felt in my hand. I am hoping to get better results with it than my old point and shoot camera (panasonic TZ1)
dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:50 PM   #2

Welcome aboard. You made the right choice. The E-520 is an excellent camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:52 PM   #3
Super Moderator

they are in a different class of camera. each have their advantages and disadvantages.

the optical viewfinder on your 520 will be much easier to keep up with moving kids and dogs, etc compared with the electronic viewfinder or LCD on the micro 4/3 models.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:54 PM   #4

Thanks
Now if i could just figure out all these different lenses they have. I am pretty excited to try a nice camera out. The reason i went with the olympus is for the live view feature. Although i won't use it much, my wife, will. I liked the fact that it can be used as a point and shoot and have no learning curve if you want to just use it that way.
I will probably explore a little more with settings and get my feet wet with all the settings etc... I am probably going to get hooked
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugger13 View Post
Just made the plunge and bought a e520 with 2 lenses and a 4 gb card for 479. Now i see there is a micro 4/3 camera out. Am i experiencing buyers remorse here. The 520 is on the fed ex truck right now.

Is there a major difference between the two? OR i guess the micro 4/3 and standard 4/3 cameras?

I am a brand new SLR user. I plan on taking pictures of my everyday life which includes kids, dogs, sports. etc... I have handled the 520 in a store and like how it felt in my hand. I am hoping to get better results with it than my old point and shoot camera (panasonic TZ1)

Hi Dugger,

Welcome aboard and congrats for taking the plunge.

As for your concern wether you should have bought a mFT E-PL1 instead. Based on the fact you want to take photos of kids and pets. The answer is no, the E-520 being a dslr will allow you to take action shots of your family. Provided you take the time to understand the correlation between shutter speed, light, and capturing subjects in motion, the E-520 will serve you well.

The micro FourThirds camera is quite honestly, better suited to taking still shots. i.e. landscapes, waterscapes, portraits, etc.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new toy.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 1:57 PM   #6

no of my subjects will be sitting still very long.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:22 AM   #7

Micro FourThirds is just that, micro or small.

If you wanted small you would have opted for the E-420 or a P&S pocket camera instead of the E-520, right?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:37 AM   #8

The epl-1 is really design for someone that wants and needs a small camera with the ability of a dslr with changeable lenses. ie heavy travelers wanting to keep light and have better iq then any point and shoot can provide.

I am one such person. I have no preconception that the epl-1 is a fit everything camera. It will not be ideal for action shots. It will give me way better iq on landscape, building, cityscape then my current point and shoot. If I need more action shots I would opt to use my canon t1i instead. It has a way faster autofocus system then the epl-1. So the epl-1 is an excellent augment to my DSLR, not a replacement.

Also most of the lenses for the m4/3 are very expensive compare to the stardard 4/3 lenses. That is why I will be getting a m4/3 to 4/3 adapter to make uses of the less expensive oly 35mm 3.5 macro lens. Except for this lens witch is very small and compact, I would not put any other oly 4/3 lens on the epl-1 as that will defect the purpose of small and compact. Even if I go with say a panny GF1 or EP-2 I will still get this setup. So the lens prices is something you really want to consider.

So given what you have express that you want to shoot, the e520 is a better match for your needs. No need for buyers remorse. You got the camera that fits your need better, the m4/3 is not the right match for your needs.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote