Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2010, 2:46 AM   #1

Default A few JPEG's from the E30 today

Using a combination of the 12-60 f2.8-4 and 70-300 f4-5.6 Zuikos.

These two were shot using the 70-300 close to its' closest AF distance.

Then, with the EX25 tube..

Hiding behind the leaves, this image and the next were shot with the 70-300, without the EX25 tube.

The NBA All-Star game is about to be in Dallas. The building in the background with the huge banner is 72 stories tall.

Here it is taken from just across the street. That banner doesn't look so big from this perspective!

What colors...and this is the Natural mode!

This next one is Vivid, and it does pop.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:38 AM   #2

Nice series, Greg. The 70-300mm used to be one of my fav. Zuiko lenses. I'm contemplating buying one for the EP1 but by the time I add the cost of the adapter (which is not that cheap), I might be better off waiting for Oly to release the m4/3 version of it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Nice series, Greg. The 70-300mm used to be one of my fav. Zuiko lenses. I'm contemplating buying one for the EP1 but by the time I add the cost of the adapter (which is not that cheap), I might be better off waiting for Oly to release the m4/3 version of it.
Panasonic showed a 100-300 (I would imagine f4-5.6) that they are supposed to be releasing this year, which is probably long before you'll see anything from Olympus considering they have already announced the 9-18 and 14-150 lenses. The Panny 100-300 lens will give you two options for image stabilization with the OIS it almost certainly will have.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:36 PM   #4

Yes, I'm looking forward to see that lens. It seems that Panasonic is currently building better lenses than Olympus (at least for the m4/3). The two Lumix m4/3 kit lenses are very good and the 20mm is excellent from what I've seen and read. One of these days I'll pull the trigger on it.

Tullio
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:29 PM   #5

I really do not think Olympus is considering micro four-thirds as their primary product line and what we see introduced later this year will confirm that. Seems pretty clear in the lenses they now sell and what's been promised this is a move-up for people from superzoom digicams or a DSLR shooter to use instead of a digicam when less size is more important.

Panasonic is the company with the most to gain since they have no higher level line to compete against themselves. By the time micro four-thirds has matured, I'm willing to bet the company people will look to for serious glass will be Panasonic, not Olympus.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:32 PM   #6

I think you are right on your analysis. Olympus has many 4/3 camera models in their line up, so it's fair to assume that that's where they are focusing their efforts. The 70-300mm is going for $260 on eBay, which is real cheap. If the Lumix 100-300mm is too expensive, then I'll consider getting the ZD 70-300mm + adapter. To good thing about going this way is that if one day I decide to get a full blown Oly DSLR again, the lens will work on it, so I have more options.

Tullio