Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Default E-PL1 Sample images gallery

DPreview just posted a gallery containing images taken with the E-PL1

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl1/page5.asp
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:58 AM   #2

........and those are quite nice!
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3

The more I see, the more I like the epl-1. It looks like a great compromise solution I have been looking for in a travel camera.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:24 PM   #4

I was just scanning down the specs of the E-PL1 and noticed no orientation sensor. No biggie in the big scope of things, but I have to think back a ways to remember a time when I owned a digital camera that could not turn portrait shots so you didn't have to be turning the camera on it's side to review something shot that way. Seems like a weird spec to be leaving off a consumer model.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:42 PM   #5

It may still get resolved before the first ones hit the market. They have a month or so.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:24 PM   #6
Super Moderator

yea, my f70 doesnt have an orientation sensor either, its mildly annoying since i dont remember the last digicam/dslr that didnt have one either, but in the long run, not a huge deal.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It may still get resolved before the first ones hit the market. They have a month or so.
This isn't something like an issue to be fixed with firmware. This is a clearly marked differentiator from the E-P2 (marked with a green asterisk on the specs sheet at DPReview) and as such, would not be "fixed". It's an intentional difference you can only "fix" by buying the higher spec model.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
DPreview just posted a gallery containing images taken with the E-PL1....
IMO, the images don't look any better than what the EP1/EP2 can produce. Nothing special so far. With the exception of the built-in flash, the ELP1 does not seem to be much of an upgrade at all, on the contrary. But, that's how Olympus managed to price it so attractively.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:28 AM   #9

It is not an upgrade, it has a mostly plastic and AL body vs a stainless steel one. It has the same guts, and lens. So it should perform the same as the other pens. If anything it is their budget model. The EP1 and EPL-1 is not far apart in price 679 vs 600 from the current store prices. The ep-2 is 950 and if you minus the evf of 200. it bring it to 750. They are all not that far apart in price.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:45 AM   #10

To me, Olympus has kind-of muddied the water with these models. The E-P1 and E-P2 are looked at as the upper tier of this line, yet this new, in some respects lesser-featured camera has a much more sophisticated flash system capability.

Until a model is introduced that offers the best features of all of them in one package, Olympus is still not yet selling a camera in this system that offers everything a top-of-the-line system camera made in 2010 should offer, and it's not exactly like someone can buy into this system and decide to move into the DSLR line for ultimate capability and carry their lenses with them since micro four-thirds lenses cannot be used on the DSLR's, assuming most new E-P owners are not going to buy 4/3rd's system lenses and deal with the shortcomings those lenses have with this system.

The original Panasonic G1 overall is still a better camera than any E-P model, and no doubt, the G2 will be even better. Someone looking to use this system as their main/only system would be a fool to pick any E-P model over the Panasonic body.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 10, 2010 at 9:47 AM.