Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:49 PM   #1

Default uv filters with olympus lens

i just got the e-520 kit. it came with 2 lenses. I have heard that most people put a clear filter on the front of the lens so that if it get scratched, then you replace the filter, and the lens is not scratched. I also know they make tinted ones etc.... My question is where do i buy these? What size do i need?

I have the 14-42 lens and the 40-150 lens. Any links would be greatly appreciated.
dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:18 PM   #2

The filter size is on the front face of the lens. I don't have either of those lenses but according to B&H, the 14-42 lens uses a 40.5mm filter and the 40-150 lens uses a 58mm filter. So look on the front face of your lenses so you can see those sizes and you'll know what size to get in the future for any lens.

B&H sells protection filters here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...520+4294954254

You should know that there's disagreement among photographers as to whether to use a protection filter. Some folks feel that the filter degrades the image and other folks (myself included) feel that the protection is valuable. Both sides have valid reasons.

Since neither of your lenses are really expensive, if I had them and I wanted protection filters I'd buy an inexpensive filter for each. No criticism of your lenses intended, I'm just saying that I have a very different viewpoint about buying a filter for, say, a $500 lens than for a $2000 lens. But I'm sure my friends on this forum will provide other feedback, and I'll learn from their opinions (grin).

One thing for you to keep in mind for the future: if you get a wide-angle lens and you want to put a filter on it, you'll want to get a "slim" filter, which is thinner than a normal filter but reduces the chance for vignetting. Slim filters are more expensive, partially because they usually require (and come with) a special lens cap because they don't have threads in the front, to accept a normal lens cap. You don't need them for the 2 lenses you have now but keep that in mind for the future.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 10, 2010 at 5:25 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
The filter size is on the front face of the lens. I don't have either of those lenses but according to B&H, the 14-42 lens uses a 40.5mm filter and the 40-150 lens uses a 58mm filter.

Ted
Both lenses can actually take 58mm filters. I have myself a E600 with those two lenses, including a UV filter and a Circular Polarised Filter. As I'm new to photography I can't really see much difference with and without filters.
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:33 PM   #4

I do not use a UV filter when shoot. I do however put haze 1 filters on all my lenses when I am traveling. When I get to the hotel, they all come off. since they screw on, they stay more secure then the lens cap.

The UV filter gives your shots more of a yellowish tone. But next to the protection aspect they really do not do much. UV filets were a must have back in the days of film, as film is sensitive to UV light The reason I have haze 1 filter is it act like a ND filter, it actually warms the shot if you want a warming effect. So I alway keep on with me just incase I want that effect.

But I would go with a higher grade filter if you are planning to use it for protection. You will want a multicoated one to reduce the risks of flares and ghosting. Which sometimes happens when using filter especially low grade ones.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:06 PM   #5

hi dugger,
i used to use uv filters on all my lenses but no longer do, i do mostly landscape and nature type photography and i have fell with camera, had tripod fall over, dropped cameras many times but have yet to have a filter get scratched. i did fall with the 14-45mm 3.5\5.6 lens into a stream once with a circular polarizer, which caused a slight nick in the metal polarizer ring. the camera hit a rock lens first(with hood attached) and this caused a malfunction with the focus motor which olympus repaired free of charge. i use a skylite (magenta colored) filter on my 12-60mm because it really enhances sunrise/sunset photos, but rest of time is not on. i have circ. polarizers for all my lenses. i also almost without exception have the lens hood attached as this is probably the best protection i have found. if you do use a filter however, buy the best you can afford as i have myself in my images seen cheap filters degrade contrast,color accuracy & sharpness. i use singhray & tiffen HT filters exclusively now,they are expensive but image quality is excellent.
charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:29 PM   #6

I agree with Charles, in that using the lens hood is a good way to protect your lens' front element. I would suggest you save your money towards the purchase of another lens or better yet, an external flash.

If you do feel the need to get a UV filter for your lenses, a good option is to look at the used section over at:

B&HPhoto.com and KEH.com. Both are reputable on-line dealers.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:59 PM   #7

Default I use QUALITY UV filters on expensive lenses.

If I buy a lens that is fairly expensive, I normally put a multicoated UV filter on it for protection. If I think it will impact the quality, I'll remove it for that series of shots and replace it when I'm done.

My choice is Hoya HMC series as they are as reasonable as any of the multicoated type, and they are about as good as they get for not degrading the image.

If I shot in conditions that were not a hazzard, I would likely not use them. My shooting is in less than ideal situations, and often I end up wiping the filter off with my shirt. Sometimess they get gunky enough that I remove the filter and run water over it to clean it. I choose not to subject a lens to that kind of treatment.

A final consideration is replacement cost. You kit lenses are excellent, but you can buy those lenses for about $100 used (from a camera kit bought by someone that already owns more expensive glass) and I don't think I'd spend the extra for multicoated filters. I think I'd run the risk.

On the other extreme, I paid $150 for the filter to protect the 300mm f2.8 lens.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Feb 11, 2010 at 6:09 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:25 PM   #8

Default Keeping the lens clean

is one major reason I use protective filters. Maybe that's from my experience with very expensive telescopes. When I'm shooting outdoors my lenses get dusty and I'd rather clean a $70 filter without worrying about scratching it, than the front element on a $1000+ lens.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. I am planning on just putting the supplied caps on when i am not shooting. Save the money for a better lens after i get the hang of this.

What is the best all around lens that i should get? I will use it indoors outdoors, kids, and my dogs. Anybody know sites where they sell used lens?
dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugger13 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am planning on just putting the supplied caps on when i am not shooting. Save the money for a better lens after i get the hang of this.

What is the best all around lens that i should get? I will use it indoors outdoors, kids, and my dogs. Anybody know sites where they sell used lens?
I use the 12-60mm SWD for my all around lens. With 1:2.8-4.0, it should be good enough for both indoors and out.

Also I have tried all kinds of UV protect filters with all the lenses I bought. After you upgraded to higher quality lenses, you really need better UV filter. I use B+W F-pro UV filters exclusively these days. They are more expensive but will not degrade the pic. IQ like the eBay ones.
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote