Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:34 PM   #1

Default ....the warmth of winter in Arlington

Well, we don't and don't want to compete with the N'Eastr snow that Ted, Zig and our other Atlantic coast friends have, but here on the great prairie plains of Dallas/Fort Worth and in between (Arlington & Grand Prairie) it is known that snow will accumulate..............

It now has been snowing for 12 hours with maybe that many more and the problems is it is WARM here. Right now 34 F and the slush is building on the streets and roads to about 2 to 4 inches. It will freeze tonight, then the problems become real.

......outside my home at noon today

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:50 PM   #2

Yes....what a mess for us. I'm watching it out the window right now. I may not get off to work in the morning at the usual time, and am just hopeful of making it home in one piece tonight...

What exactly are the ground rules if a baseball gets lost in snow?
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:54 PM   #3

Ouch! Ice is not good. You guys have my sympathy - I can drive almost anywhere on snow, but ice is a different ballgame (Arlington pun intended).

Stay safe!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:30 PM   #4

Quote:
What exactly are the ground rules if a baseball gets lost in snow?
..........that would be a 'ground rule double' hit of hot chocolate and wait for Spring'

That is what we are doing, just got the email that today's baseball practice at Grace Preparatory Academy is 'canceled due to inclement weather', well REALLY!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:01 PM   #5

Hey, wait a minute, didn't I just see Greg post some pics of people sailing?

My my, this Winter sure has been a crazy one all around the country. But, I love your solution to battling the cold- hot chocolate......my favorite.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:54 PM   #6

.........it is crazy! Still snowing in Arlington, we've 7inches now and super saturated wet and will be freezing in another 2 deg temp drop. I'm ok where I am, so are Bonnie and the cat animal, that's how we're gonna be for a while...... I love being retired at times like this.

Zig, Greg C may have some more interesting sailing pics by the time he gets home tonight, as in 'sailing right past where he intended to stop' .. Be Safe Greg!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:24 PM   #7

Brrrrrrrr !!!

Stay warm guys, this winter has been ridiculous.

Bob - your pictures remind me of the snows that we sometimes got when I lived in Atlanta:warm one day, then freezing cold the next. (I bet Greg will have some interesting shots of downtown Dallas in the snow.)

Glad I moved back to Florida, even though it has been one of our coldest winters this year.

Keep us posted, and be glad you are not up in Maryland with Ted, where they are measuring the snow by the foot!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:51 PM   #8

......it is now official, today, Feb 11, 2010 is the record date for the all-time snowfall for any one day in the record keeping history for Dallas/Ft Worth at 9.2 inches and it is still snowing heavily here in my neighborhood.

There has been as much as 12 inches within 40 miles West of Arlington. We can now use Ted's incremental value for measurement & report officially 1-foot.

This is just crazy, tomorrow the temperature here is expected to be 45 deg with Saturday near 60, the melt and runoff will be a new problem set ... presently it is 30 deg.

That is the report from here, perhaps another photo in the morning, g'nite.