Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:04 PM   #11

Nice work, Zig. It looks like that's their favorite branch to pose for a portrait!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Nice work, Zig. It looks like that's their favorite branch to pose for a portrait!
Hi Tullio,

Thanks. As for the branch, there's a reason for it's popularity:
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:16 PM   #13

Ah... explained!!! Great shot BTW! I love the color and sharpness.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Feb 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:17 PM   #14

Awesome shots! That is a nice piece of glass. I just wish Oly made a 100-400 to go with it. 200mm is just too short for most of the shots I do.
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Awesome shots! That is a nice piece of glass. I just wish Oly made a 100-400 to go with it. 200mm is just too short for most of the shots I do.
Hi,
And welcome to Steve's Digicams forum.

Actually, if you add the EC-20 teleconverter to the 50-200mm swd lens, you'll have yourself a focal range of 100-400mm. Albeit, you'll drop the aperture by 2 steps.
On the plus side, from the sample images I've seen, the EC-20 doesn't degrade the image quality and at, around 1,500dollars for both the lens and converter, it doesn't break the bank.

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 13, 2010 at 4:28 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,
And welcome to Steve's Digicams forum.

Actually, if you add the EC-20 teleconverter to the 50-200mm swd lens, you'll have yourself a focal range of 100-400mm. Albeit, you'll drop the aperture by 2 steps.
On the plus side, from the sample images I've seen, the EC-20 doesn't degrade the image quality and at, around 1,500dollars for both the lens and converter, it doesn't break the bank.
Depends on the size of the bank I've never spent more than $150 for a lens so the idea of dropping 10 times that for the same focal length isn't that appealing, even if the results are better.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
...around 1,500dollars for both the lens and converter, it doesn't break the bank.
Boy, my bank must be in real bad shape. $1500 will break it for sure.

I was never too fond of 2x converters as they do tend to affect IQ in a negative way (although I never had the Oly one). The best I've experienced was a Kenko 1.5x Pentax mount and still the end result was not that great.

Tullio
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Boy, my bank must be in real bad shape. $1500 will break it for sure.

I was never too fond of 2x converters as they do tend to affect IQ in a negative way (although I never had the Oly one). The best I've experienced was a Kenko 1.5x Pentax mount and still the end result was not that great.
Oly does seem to have gotten it right from what I have seen, at least when coupled with the right lens. I've read that a 2x will result in a 28% loss of sharpness but from the samples I've seen I'm not sure that is true in this case.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Oly does seem to have gotten it right from what I have seen, at least when coupled with the right lens. I've read that a 2x will result in a 28% loss of sharpness but from the samples I've seen I'm not sure that is true in this case.
Teleconverters in general degrade images. There is really nothing that can be done about it, BUT they also make the subject bigger in the photo.

Zig is going to be shooting the 50-200 at 200mm. If one shot is with the EC-20, and one without, the subject shot with the EC-20 will cover 4 times the number of pixels as the other. What you loose in MTF resolution you more than pick up if the ability to resolve your subject on the sensor.

Olympus ZD teleconverters are excellent and have a great reputation for one reason. Not only are they top notch as far as quality is concerned, but they are going to be connected to a "telecentric" system. What that does for Olympus is have the converter work well with ALL ZD lenses. Others (Nikon comes to mind) have a converter that may be ok with lens "A" but is not so great with lens "B".

I just got the EC-20 to complement my EC-14. I'm pleased with both. Some lenses like the 50 f2 macro are so sharp that they outresolve the sensor. In that situation you may have a 28% reduction in sharpness and still not be able to tell in the output.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I just got the EC-20 to complement my EC-14. I'm pleased with both.
Greg
Hi Greg. Just out of curiosity, is there any point of having both converters? If you have to choose one (and the price differs GBP30) which would be the best choice?

Also related to this, using the converter will result in a loss of 2 steps... I guess my jargon is not as sharp as it should be, but can you explain what this means in real terms?

Finally, what would be the use of the extension tube?
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote