Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrFr View Post
Hi Greg. Just out of curiosity, is there any point of having both converters? If you have to choose one (and the price differs GBP30) which would be the best choice?

Also related to this, using the converter will result in a loss of 2 steps... I guess my jargon is not as sharp as it should be, but can you explain what this means in real terms?

Finally, what would be the use of the extension tube?
As with most things that have to do with photography, it depends on if you need both or not. I'll be keeping both unless I find I no longer use one or the other.

As to the loss of light, its really quite simple. Lets look at the 50 f2 macro as the math is easy.

The f-number is the ratio of the focal length (50mm) to the light entrance of the lens. Because we know the ratio is f2, that means the physical aperture is 25mm.

Lets add the EC-20 to that lens. All that adapter does is double the focal length. If you look at the EXIF information of the photo, it now says the focal length is 100mm. Its still the same lens as it still has the same 25mm physical aperture. That makes the f-ratio 100mm/25mm = f4. That's the two stop loss in its entirety.

The EC-14 is mid ground as it makes the focal length 70mm and 70mm/25mm = f2.8 or one stop.

The purpose of the extention tube is to allow focus closes to the lens that is normally possible. Its useful ONLY for macro type photography, or at least short distance photos. It comes at the expense of being able to focus at a distance.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Hi Greg. Just out of curiosity, is there any point of having both converters? If you have to choose one (and the price differs GBP30) which would be the best choice?
I figured I should touch base on this a bit more.

I'm in a different position than most. I do alot of bug macro in the warm seasons and the 50 f2, I believe, will be an excellent performer with the EC-20. The minimum focus will remain unaffected and the result will be true 1 to 1 magnification. The other use I have for that converter is the 300 f2.8, and the ability to autofocus at 600mm is something I wanted to experience. So far, so good. I'm also looking forward to trying it with the 35 macro, and at twice life size before I add the Canon 250D closeup lens will be interesting. At f7 the viewfinder will be dim. We'll see how it works. I think the EC-20 will get used alot.

The EC-14 has been glued to my 50 macro since I got the pair. If there is any degradation to that lens, I can't see it. Its a super combo. I've also used it with the 35 macro and its a thumbs up too. I makes little things pretty big at 1.4x life size. Finally, and perhaps the most obvious is using it with the 50-200. I'm Mr. Telephoto and it extends the 50-200 to a max of 283mm f4.9 and it is a VERY usuable combination. A pic or two if you'll indulge me.

283mm f5.6

283 mm 4.9 (wide open)

I'm going to recommend you look at the lenses you own before you choose one of the converters over the other. I'm thinking that if a lens is less than f2.8, the EC-14 may be a better choice. You'll maintain autofocus and most Oly glass will take it well.

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Feb 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:49 AM   #23

Nice captures Ziggy. That 200 is a nice piece of glass.

It's good to see some old friends
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Nice captures Ziggy. That 200 is a nice piece of glass.

It's good to see some old friends

Hi Ken,

It is indeed good to hear from old friends as well!

I've often wondered where you were and if everything was okay. It's been a long time.........Hope all is well.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:53 AM   #25

Yeh, I've been a little remiss haven't I. The economy caught up with us for a while and I had to concentrate on work. I know it's hard to believe but it was hard getting my camera out and concentrating. I just used my little digi-point-n-shoot. Oly of course.
From time to time I come lurking, the photos seem to be getting better and better in here. It’s intimidating, really.
I had my camera bag out this weekend and Sharon’s been encouraging me to take a Lightroom class they’re doing in the local college. (I'm still avoiding photoshop) So, I may have to bug you guys again.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
That makes the f-ratio 100mm/25mm = f4. That's the two stop loss in its entirety.

The EC-14 is mid ground as it makes the focal length 70mm and 70mm/25mm = f2.8 or one stop.

Greg
Does it has to be a prime lens? Wouldn't it make sense to use in a zoom lens? The main reason for considering this option is for economic and weight/space needed to get a bigger zoom/focal lens. At the moment I have only the kit 14-42, considering the EC20 combined with the wider angle of the 1st lens, would I get 28mm whereas the maximum aperture would be f7?

So for instance, if I consider buying the 12-60mm zuiko in a few months, would there be any point to combine both?
PiotrFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:11 PM   #27

.......hi Ken,

I've missed you and often wondered how you were.

Last edited by boBBrennan; Feb 15, 2010 at 2:16 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Yeh, I've been a little remiss haven't I. The economy caught up with us for a while and I had to concentrate on work. I know it's hard to believe but it was hard getting my camera out and concentrating. I just used my little digi-point-n-shoot. Oly of course.
From time to time I come lurking, the photos seem to be getting better and better in here. It’s intimidating, really.
I had my camera bag out this weekend and Sharon’s been encouraging me to take a Lightroom class they’re doing in the local college. (I'm still avoiding photoshop) So, I may have to bug you guys again.
Hey SCOUSE: Good to see you back!!! Been wondering what you were doing. Welcome Back
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:50 PM   #29

Thanks for the "welcome back" guys, feels good.

Been reading up in tog magazines and getting trigger happy again. I'll be out taking some snapshots! soon.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Does it has to be a prime lens? Wouldn't it make sense to use in a zoom lens? The main reason for considering this option is for economic and weight/space needed to get a bigger zoom/focal lens. At the moment I have only the kit 14-42, considering the EC20 combined with the wider angle of the 1st lens, would I get 28mm whereas the maximum aperture would be f7?

So for instance, if I consider buying the 12-60mm zuiko in a few months, would there be any point to combine both?
I believe I'd choose a 40-150 kit lens over the 12-60/EC-20. It would be brighter, longer, and probably sharper. You would likely be able to pick up an unused 2nd hand for about $100 from someone that bought a kit, but already has higher end glass.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the 12-60, as its exceptional, but the 40-150 would be a better long solution.

Greg