Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2010, 5:56 PM   #1

Default It's good to see some old friends

I've been too busy the last couple of weeks to set up the camera and shoot some birds. This morning, the feeder was quite active with lots of visitors. I guess last evenings storm got all the little critters hungry.

All shot with E-30 with 50-200mm ED (nonSWD) lens and Manfrotto tripod.
All shot in manual mode, single center point AF, ISO400, 1/250sec. f6.3
PP done in PSE8. Note; these did not go through ACR 5.6. I decided to just use Elements 8 and see what, if any, difference there was in the final images.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:34 PM   #2

I wonder if their feet get cold?!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:24 AM   #3

zig, excellent shots, i really like the character you captured in the last image, very original. looks like she is starting a new style.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I wonder if their feet get cold?!
hi Greg,

It was interesting to see all the birds easily perch on the small bits of ice, which was melting rapidly. I was surprised that the ice supported their weight.

Thanks Charles for the kind comment. The wind was blowing around 15 to 25 yesterday morning and gave the female Cardinal a rather interesting 'hair do'.

Zig
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:18 AM   #5

............she is a sweet looking gal that Cardinal lady and I'm glad your friends stopped by for a hello.
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:47 AM   #6

Hi Zig

the first three pics are just superb ..!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:57 AM   #7

Good shots Zig. I have a question maybe someone can answer. I use the 510/70 300 for most of my bird shots. I like to shoot in manual mode but adjusting from light to dark presents quite a challenge when shooting at the same place. I have a tree I like to take shots of birds at but where I get good exposure at one spot I may swing to another and be over exposed or under exposed because of shutter speed and light. I would rather not use ap if I can help it but maybe this is the only way to achieve a decent exposure when panning from one area to another. It's difficult to have to look at metering screen when you're going back and forth trying to catch the shots as they jump from one branch to another. Here's a shot that wasn't to bad but a few seconds later he moved and my next five shots were way overexposed. Any tips or suggestions appreciated.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:31 PM   #8

Hi Eric,

First off, that is a wonderful image of a finch. Good color, great detail, great framing, and good exposure.

Then to answer your question, most people whose work I admire, use their camera in Aperture mode. That allows them to control depth of field as well as the ability to use the best aperture value for the particular lens they are using.The camera will then set the shutter speed. Depending on the available light, they'll adjust the ISO to the value that will provide enough light to keep the shutter speed high enough to eliminate motion blur.

I tend to use manual mode because that's what I've been comfortable with. Changing settings on the E-30 is quick and easy. So, that works for me.

I am, by no means, an expert on this subject so take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

Presented with the same set of lighting factors that you've described, I would try to:
engage Exposure Bracketing and set it for a value of 1/3comp.
then set the shutter release to continuous.

These settings, (if I remember correctly) should allow you to take a series of 3 shots with each having a different exposure compensation. You can then review them in post processing and hopefully, one of the images will be acceptable.

You can also just try the Ex comp button on the top of the camera (+/-).
If your images are tending to overexpose, then set it for -1/3 and see if that doesn't improve your keeper rate.

Here is a link to a gallery of images captured by Laura Pipkin. You might like to take a look at the EXIF data that shows how she achieved the shot that your viewing. It's a good way to see what other people have achieved and the settings used to provide the results.

http://www.pbase.com/pipkin/image/120695520

One last point, be prepared to shoot a lot of images and then throwing many of them away. Because small birds are so quick and move a lot, they are especially difficult to capture consistently.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:33 PM   #9

Thanks Bob/Harj,
Much appreciate the kind words.

Bob, I hope the snow has finally stopped.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the info Zig. Maybe I'll just have to try using aperature for a while and let it pick the shutter speed. I like using manual but it's difficult to pan in changing light conditions. I will try your other suggestions though, the exposure bracketing at 1/3 comp is something I haven't tried.
I really like the pose on the next to last picture of yours, almost a Captain Morgan moment : )
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote