Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:15 PM   #1

Default 600mm on a four-thirds camera

if there is an ad, i don't endorse it.

I'm feeling like I'm pushing the limits here. Results are better than I expected.

Pics follow.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:21 PM   #2

Default The Sparrow

I'm doing some testing, so no great art here.

These are 600mm at f6.3 and shutter speeds are 1/400 or less. I guess the distance at around 12 feet. DOFmaster says the depth of field is around 1/4 inch.

and a crop.

Greg
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:27 PM   #3

Nice pics. What lens? Handheld or on a tripod?
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:27 PM   #4

Default My Litte Chick-a-dee....

a crop

Another

and a crop

Greg
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Nice pics. What lens? Handheld or on a tripod?
ZD 300 f2.8 and EC-20 converter. Tripod for sure. Its way beyond my ability to even think of hand holding the thing.

Greg
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:46 PM   #6

Very impressive series, Greg. It's hard for me to imagine improving upon the detail these images show.

If anyone had any concerns over wether an EC-20 telecon degraded the image, these certainly should dispel those concerns.

An interesting coincidence you posting these shots as I ordered an EC-20 this morning. That and the 50-200mm 2.8 ED will hold me in good stead while in Florida.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Very impressive series, Greg. It's hard for me to imagine improving upon the detail these images show.

If anyone had any concerns over wether an EC-20 telecon degraded the image, these certainly should dispel those concerns.

An interesting coincidence you posting these shots as I ordered an EC-20 this morning. That and the 50-200mm 2.8 ED will hold me in good stead while in Florida.

Zig
They are all ready for you... In Florada that is.

They got snow too.

Optics are what Olympus is all about as far as I'm concerned.

I just got the EC-20 and I was expecting worse. I got the combo to show a touch of CA at 100%, but you'd be hard presses to see it at regular viewing sizes. Maybe a touch less resolution over the EC-14, but I was expecting less contrast by using the EC-20. The results were much better than I expected.

I also got a Jobu Lightweight MKII gimbal head for the tripod.... Ahhhh, I finally feel comfortable shooting the big Zuiko. It doesn't weigh anything anymore

Enjoy Florada, and we EXPECT pics. You'll need that EC-20 if ya come across a gator.

Greg
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
They are all ready for you... In Florada that is.

They got snow too.

Enjoy Florada, and we EXPECT pics. You'll need that EC-20 if ya come across a gator.
Greg

Yea, this sure has been one very weird Winter.. I was listening to the news last night and one of the newscasters reported that 49 out of the 50 states had snow at the moment.

I'm just hoping at this point for the weather to moderate somewhat. As for taking lots of pics, my kit is going to consist of the E-30 with 12-60mm, 50-200mm, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25 and the 70-300mm. I'm going bring along an old thinkpad with me to store the images.......I plan on taking LOTS of photos.

As for gators, we'll be in Marco Island for the month of March. That's a short distance from the Everglades and Flamingo, not to mention alligator alley. Of course, I could just go and stop by Steven's house and take a shot of the gator living in his backyard.

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yea, this sure has been one very weird Winter.. I was listening to the news last night and one of the newscasters reported that 49 out of the 50 states had snow at the moment.

I'm just hoping at this point for the weather to moderate somewhat. As for taking lots of pics, my kit is going to consist of the E-30 with 12-60mm, 50-200mm, EC-14, EC-20, EX-25 and the 70-300mm. I'm going bring along an old thinkpad with me to store the images.......I plan on taking LOTS of photos.

As for gators, we'll be in Marco Island for the month of March. That's a short distance from the Everglades and Flamingo, not to mention alligator alley. Of course, I could just go and stop by Steven's house and take a shot of the gator living in his backyard.

Zig
Come on by anytime Zig.
However, be prepared to take lots of landscape shoots, not animal shots, because there is not as much wildlife as before. It wasn't just the fish that got hit.

The Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission announced that this winter's cold weather resulted in an unprecedented loss of wildlife in the state. I can see it it my back yard. The most common bird that I see flying around now is the turkey buzzards that keep circling over the woods behind the lake.

Hopefully the weather will be back to normal when you get down here, and you are staying in a pretty area.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:11 PM   #10

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the heads up. My plan is to get down to Marco and just see what the weather will allow me to do. I've been talking with my friend in Key Colony Beach and according to him there's no reason to rush over to the Keys. Fishing is almost nonexistent. Which is a shame for two reasons - one of which is obvious, the other is that I keep my kit in the boat. This gives me ample opportunities to shoot wildlife from a unique perspective. There's nothing quite like coming up to the mangroves and seeing so many different rookeries out in the middle of the gulf.

There's always places closer to where I'm staying like tiger tail sanctuary, not to mention going into the Everglades.

I'll just go with the flow.

Zig