Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:25 PM   #1

Default Ticketstock 2010

I attended a sports radio station event today that included an interview with former NFL running back Barry Sanders.

I got there early and positioned myself on some stands several yards from the stage and used my E30 and 50-200 SWD. Auto ISO and Auto white balance, program exposure mode with either -.3 or -.7 exposure compensation. I believe the camera chose ISO 2000 for all of these, and these came straight out of the camera as Large Superfine JPEG's.

Don't know the model, but the station's photog was using an Olympus digicam of some sorts..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 13, 2010 at 8:36 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I attended a sports radio station event today that included an interview with former NFL running back Barry Sanders.
Let me start by saying that the photos are great for ISO 2000. I'd have never guessed.

Second, Barry Sanders was as much of a class act that has ever been in the NFL. He was with a team that had limited talent. The stats he compiled are tough to accomplish with a great team with a great line, but he did it with much less.

If you had to tackle that man, one on one in the open field, you loose and you were part of the halftime highlight reel they played on Monday Night Football. As great as his talent was on the field, he would just hand the ball to the official and trott off the field when he got into the endzone.

Thanks for the memory. Class act.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:08 AM   #3

He definitely was first class, all the time...and looks like he could still play.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Let me start by saying that the photos are great for ISO 2000. I'd have never guessed.

Thanks. Class act.

Greg
I agree, and I also have to check my E-30 settings for noise reduction, etc. as my OOC Superfine jpegs , at ISO1600 and up are not as clean.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 2:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I got there early and positioned myself on some stands several yards from the stage and used my E30 and 50-200 SWD. Auto ISO and Auto white balance, program exposure mode with either -.3 or -.7 exposure compensation. I believe the camera chose ISO 2000 for all of these, and these came straight out of the camera as Large Superfine JPEG's.
Hi, Greg,

I'm amazed that those were ISO2000 - usually noise shows up in the dark areas and I just don't see that.

Great pix, and as the Dairyland Greg said, Sanders accomplished what he did without much of a team behind him. Just like Sweetness (Walter Payton) - I met him once and he was not a big guy. I knew he played at 185 lb. but when you see someone like that and think about the size of the guys he was going up against you just shake your head in astonishment. Same with Sanders.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:36 PM   #6

I've been very pleased with the high ISO performance of the E30. At ISO 2000/2500 and viewing at 100% there's definitely plenty of noise there to see in the darks, but it's a very well-defined, grainy noise vs. the ugly, blobby stuff I've seen in past Olympus bodies and detail in the darker areas is very well-rendered. The Low noise filter setting is pretty much hard-coded as the default going forward.

I was really suprised how well the exposure system worked left pretty much to its' own devices. I did dial in negative exposure compensation because there were so many dark details in these. In reviewing the files on the back LCD as I shot, the bald guy looked almost blown becase of the contrast to the rest of the scene, but opened up looking great on my home screen.

In viewing at the X3Large size on Smugmug I really like the image quality. That's bigger than I would print most files and I have a feeling prints will look excellent. I'm going to order a few of these and some from the hockey game I shot in the ISO 2000-2500 at around 11x14 and see what the printed image looks like. I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:09 PM   #7

Those are some impressive shots. Would it be possible to see some of the same with post processing noise reduction applied? I would hope my E-620 images hold up that well.
willarDSDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:47 PM   #8

Hi Will.

After trying quite hard for a while with both processed RAW and in-camera JPEG's I've pretty much given up doing a whole lot of noise reduction in post processing. It's often way more destructive than I like and virtually never looks better than what the E30 puts out on it own using the LOW noise filter setting. I really like the balance of detail retained in the image vs. grainey nature of the higher ISO shots.

I do have a Photoshop plugin in Noiseware Professional and, just to give it a try, I did an application using the 4th image in the series I presented above. There's a lot of fine detail in his hair and in the black sweater I wanted to retain as much as possible. Opening these up through my website and going to 100% view will give the better view of how it worked doing what I did, which was to apply Noiseware at the "weaker noise" reduction default setting, then fading the effect (using EDIT, and then FADE NOISEWARE) in Photoshop (to 70% of the original this case) until I had what I thought to be the best combination of detail retained vs. noise control. I find using a default setting and then fading it in Photoshop much easier to control than trying to figure out a bunch of detailed sliders in a filter such as Noiseware. Here's the original image.

and the copy with Noiseware applied..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:06 PM   #9

Hi Greg,

Glad that I'm not the only one who tries to avoid reducing noise using any of the noise reduction options in ACR or Photoshop (mine is PSE8). I find that when I'm working on an image file in ACR and have applied either sharpening or noise reduction, when I save the file, then open it later in PSE-8, the file looks completely different and the results, generally, aren't to my liking.

I do use NeatImage from time to time and , here also, I've got to be careful to use it sparingly.

By the way, the last images posted are very impressive, in that , while there is noise in the 1st one, it's not objectionable. The 2nd file is better still, because, while the image definitely has been cleaned up, it's subtle and not overly processed. I would be happy with either one.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote