Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:00 PM   #1

Default first time shooting with other photographers

on saturday i attended my first hands on mini workshop (one full day) in western maryland & eastern west virginia, we shot at several state parks in both states, snow was 40+ inches in most locations and around 18 degrees with winds blowing in excess of 30 mph. at the last shoot of the day in west virginia a mini blizzard rolled in making drivining down the mountain extremely tricky (at most 20 yard visibility). here are a few shots i quick processed from raw files in acr. all are shot with e-3 and various oly. lenses. please feel free to c&c.
Attached Images

cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:39 PM   #2

Greta Ice shots I really like the last one! Reminds me of the Ice Glacer I went ot up north near Falls...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:26 AM   #3

thank you sharpshot gal, the last one was shot under a 30 foot rock cliff there was a ice cave further down the cliff with 20 ft. ice walls didn't get to go in it though as the weather turned really bad.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:03 AM   #4

Based on your description, of the weather, sounds like a perfect day for a hike
carrying a camera with you.

I really enjoy looking at the first shot. The ice really tells the story. Hope you have some more to share, perhaps with a little wider view.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:03 PM   #5

thank you for the comment zig, the weather nor the terrain afforded many wide shots but here are a few. in the first wide one you will see where the first shot of the first series came from via the 50-200 swd. i hope you enjoy as these where painful shots to get.
Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:40 PM   #6

Default equipment observations during shoot

one thing i wanted to mention but did not want to make 1 post to long is how the olympus equipment did in these conditions. stats as follows, weather all ready mentioned, 6 photographers including workshop instructor, 3 nikon shooters d3,d300,d200 not sure of other backups, 2 canon shooters 5d's,not sure of backups,1 olympus shooter (me if you haven't figured it out)e-3 with 420 backup,first shots starting around 7a.m.
at 7:45a.m. instructors d-3 quit working out of game quote "my d3 is responding slowly and doing goofy things., he switched to d200 backup for rest of day.
by 8:30 a.m. all nikon (d300 shooter using battery grip 2 batteries) and canon shooters on at least second set of batteries,e-3 slightly frostbitten but still chugging along.
9:15 a.m. d300 shooters camera not autofocusing.
by 10:30a.m. nikon and canon shooters on at least third set of batteries,instructor "i have to go back to the car i have no charged batteries left." e-3 still standing strong on first battery approx. 230 shots in with about 20 using fill flash.
11:00-12:00 back into town for breakfast.
summary for afternoon all nikon shooters having lens freezing & auto focus issues canon shooters still eating batteries like candy. e-3 battery finally gave up the ghost at 3:45p.m. (about 400 shots 5% fill flash,no or minimal live view) quit shooting at 5:00p.m. in hopes of getting down the mountain alive.
the only problems that i had while shooting would be universal regardless of equipment and that was when trying to remove snow flakes from lens heat from hand melted them and cold glass turned them to ice without pause.
e-420 not to happy it didn't get to snap a few. i must say i am totally satisfied shooting olympus.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:32 PM   #7

What a great summary. Reinforces my love of the E-3.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:01 PM   #8

Hi Charles, thanks for indulging me.

Given the weather conditions, these are spectacular shots. And I agree with Ted, much appreciate the days summary. That certainly says a lot for the E-3.

I'm not so sure my E-30 would fare as well.

Thanks again,
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:22 PM   #9

Zig, it doesn't sound like that experience was completely tied to the weatherproofing of the E-3. If I read Charles' summary right most of the issues were battery power. I'm not sure why the E3 batteries held out better than the others but it would appear that the E3 requires less power to function. In that regard I'm not sure your E-30 wouldn't have faired well also.

Still, either way it's a great endorsement of Oly's design capabilities.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:53 PM   #10

Nice shots and a great testimony to the E-3. While I HIGHLY doubt I will ever be shooting under those conditions, I hope my E-620 will fair as well.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote