Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:24 AM   #11

Default Tamron

Here's a better pic I know I used the Tamron at 300mm to take. Some post processing, curves and small amount of unsharp mask. ISO400 again, hand held as always (i need to stop being so lazy and get a good tripod).

John
Attached Images

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Is there a difference in quality since the prices vary so much on ebay?

As for the ME-1 I'm never sure if I like it or not. Sometimes I use it and think it's the best thing ever and some days I use it and find it makes things worse. Might just depend on the light.

John
There are 2 suppliers on EBay that I have bought adapters from:

Cirrus Adapters and JRfinance. Both make good quality products. I have no experience with any other supplier, so I can't comment on their products.

As far as the ME-1, I had no issues with it. But, I understand why some people might not find it useful as it tends to make the information displayed in the vewfinder difficult to read.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:54 PM   #13

.................................................. .........................................
I know that a number of forum regulars use them with good success. Steven R down in Florida I believe uses one and last I read, he was satisfied.

Zig[/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello John:
FWIW I'll add my two cents worth. Yes, I have a lot of old glass that I've used with adapters, and I'll share a quick recap of my experience. My old lens includes: Zuiko 50mm macro; Zuiko 50mm normal; Zuiko 28mm, Zuiko 100mm, Zuiko 65-200mm f4; Tokina 80-200mm f4.5; Vivitar Series-1 80-200mm f4.5.

I have 3 OM bodies, so when I when to 4/3rds, I didn't want all my lens to go unused. But I'm going to make a long story short, I hardly ever dig those old lens out. Go with the Zuiko digital, you'll become a better shooter. You can not focus as fast, nor adjust the exposure as quickly as you camera is capable with the digital lens. I soon realized that the old lens don't work as well for subjects that were moving, and that you can't quickly adjust the camera manually as a subject moves from sunlight to shadows, etc. (I got tired of all the throwaway shots because of focus or exposure.)

Also, the best way to focus is with the live view feature, which your e-500 lacks. The only manual lens that I now use halfway frequently is the Zuiko OM 50mm macro - again, on static subject in even lighting.
Now, 95%+ of the time, I use my digitals - the lightweight 14-42mm, the lightweight 40-150mm, and a Sigma digital 55-200mm.

In practical use, the manual lens use is like disconnecting 4 spark plug wires on a V-8 engine. Yes, you can get to your destination, but the car drives better on all 8 cylinders.

So, from someone who has done it both ways, the recommendation is to used the Zuiko digitals. You can't beat the glass, and you will be taking better photos in the long run.

Good luck,

Steven R

Last edited by Steven R; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:26 AM   #14

Thanks for the advice Steven. Nice to hear from someone with experience. I'm not ready to give up my old glass just yet. 90% of what I shoot is static (studio work or moss, fungi etc) so my throw away shots are mostly of birds. Logically I know the digital lenses are the way to go but hell, logic doesn't always win. Might be crazy but I think how I take the shot influences the results, and no, I don't mean the lack of focus in some .

John

John
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:04 AM   #15

Default Better quality images

I know my equipment well enough to know what it can produce and ever since I posted the images here I've wondered why they seemed so soft. Answer is that Studio 2 sucks at producing jpegs (at least with my camera) which I never noticed since I shoot RAW and save as a TIFF. So anyway here are all 4 pics only this time they were opened with Fastone (great freeware if anyone here doesn't know about it), converted to jpeg, resized and had some contrast adjustments. Compared to the ones posted previously they are miles better, at least in my eyes. Good thing I joined this group, even when I'm not learning from all of you I still learn new things

John
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I'm not really sorry I didn't get into the MF lenses on the 4/3 cameras. I'm just too dependent on today's autofocus.
The digital Zuikos are just too good....
Greg
I can't say I disagree with you, Greg. Since I bought the G1 and the EP1, I've spent quite a bit of money buying old lenses and a couple of adapters. Some are real good quality glasses for the price. However, the ratio between great images, keepers and not good images is not nearly as high as what one gets if using Zuiko lenses. I just went on a two-day trip to the snow country and brought the two cameras along with my Lumix/Zuiko and two MF lenses. I took no more than 10 shots with the MF lenses because I wanted to make sure I came home with a good batch of shots and using MF lenses is always a hit-and-miss.

With that said, I do enjoy playing with them and have obtained some good results. Here are a few shots taken with the EP1 and various MF lenses:

EP1 + Chinon 50mm f1.7 (Pentax mount)

EP1 + Chinon 35-70mm

EP1 + Canon FD 50mm f1.4

EP1 + Takumar 135mm

EP1 + Chinon 50mm f1.9

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:55 PM   #17

Nice shots. If I traveled I'd buy some digital glass, if for no other reason than lugging around a few 2lb lenses gets old fast. As it is I get more joy out of what I do the way I do it and to me that seems far more important than a few or even many missed shots. Birds and bugs aren't going to go away so there will always be a next time. And the rest I can just shoot til I get one I like.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:14 AM   #18

I could not agree more. I truly enjoy spending time with those MF lenses as long as I know I won't miss any crucial shot.

Tullio
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I could not agree more. I truly enjoy spending time with those MF lenses as long as I know I won't miss any crucial shot.
So nice to know I'm not the only one. Spent an awesome day shooting today, even getting out my old film camera. Wow, is that weird after shooting so much digital! I'll be curious to see if my idea of using the e-500 to gage the right aperture for the flash setup I have will have translated to film.

John
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:49 AM   #20

I've been shooting digital for years now. I wonder how I'd do shooting a roll of 24 w/o being able to see the results instantaneously and how good the images would be. Maybe I'll do that (if I can still find film to buy).

Tullio