Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I took a look and you're right - they're less expensive that the Katz Eye screens. What I found interesting though, is that they don't warn you (like Katz Eye does) that on the E-3 their screens will change the exposure metering (which in the E-3 is somehow coupled to the screen).

Ted
What i really like is the page diplaying pictures of the screens. It's nice to be able to compare actual images to see which one I like best and not just guess based on a drawing. I suspect Katz eyes may be better because of the work they've done eliminating blackout. I'll have to mess around with my film stuff and see if that is really a problem with any of my lenses.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:14 PM   #32

Quote:
I'd be happy if they just made the screen easily changeable, like on the film cameras. If you look at the directions for the aftermarket screens for DSLRs, changing one is no picnic. (Although that's at least in part due to the fact that the screen is so much smaller in a 4/3 or APS-C camera than in a full-frame one.)

Ted
Changing the screen isn;t that hard, it's doing it w/o scratching that is the trick. Mine fell out while changing a lens once and while it wasn't a big deal getting it back in it got scratched. I'd say a pair of plastic tweezers would be required to do it right. What would be really nice is if Oly made the screens more cross body compatable. Does every model really need a different screen shape?

John
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Ever since I got into the m4/3, I've been buying and using MF lenses more and more. They are a lot of fun (but not for all occasions). One thing I noticed was that in the beginning, I was having a hard time achieving accurate focus, more so with my EP1 than with the G1 due to the lack of an EVF. However, there are some obvious indications of when focus has been reached once you understand the camera and lens behavior. I noticed that the G1 performs very differently than the EP1 when it comes to MF. So, the trick is to know your equipment and the best way to accomplish that is by practicing.
Yeah, practice practice practice. I've noticed on the e-500 for me at least I often acheive better focus if I look to the left of the center spot. Or below it. Not sure why, might just be my glasses. And then there are those days where nothing seems to work

John
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:27 AM   #34

I noticed that increasing or decreasing the exposure affects my ability to accurately MF focus. When the image is under exposed, MF becomes more difficult.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:17 AM   #35

Default Comparison pics

Here's a couple of comparison pics of the Sigma vs my Tamron 60-300 done in the studio. Both are 1/160 with flash for all the shots. I didn't really buy the Sigma with studio work in mind so the results don't matter too much. Anyway the first is a straight comparison at 300mm with the tamron on the left. Maybe it's the slight over exposure of the Sigma but I like the look of the Tamron much better even if it may not be quite as sharp. The second is a comparison of the Tamron at 300 vs the Sigma at 400mm which is where it needs to be to match the image of the Tamron since it can focus closer. Tamron is on the right and as you can see is much sharper. Can't say that is because the Sigma degrades that much or if it's partly due to handheld at 300mm vs 400mm. Regardless, unless I'm just too tired or lazy to want to focus I'd chose the Tamron for this type of stuff.

John
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:21 AM   #36

Default Manual Focus Techniques

I came across this - it may be helpful. Look at Godfrey's post in this thread:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=54632

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Me too.

I see that in the images. That really surprises me; my limited experience with OM legacy glass is consistent with what Wrotniak says about it:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/any-lens.html

Ted
On another page, Wrotniak quotes John Foster about legacy Zuikos; they say: "OMZ zoom results are disappointing (except 75-150mm, a comment by C.H. Ling of Hong Kong). Andrzej: Same here"

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/omz.html
So it seems that the old 75-150 mm OMZ is the exception, being probably the only legacy zoom capable of doing as well as or better than a kit ZD of comparable focus range.
Of course that does not help a lot, usually, as the digital 40-150 mm is quite cheap as part of a two-lens kit and you get autofocus and accurate exposure in the deal. It's probably a bit masochist to use a manual focus zoom that needs to be stopped down for best results instead of a decent digital AF zoom. I guess that one will get substantially sharper results from a 100 mm OMZ prime compared to any zoom, be it digital or OMZ, which would make more sense for landscape work at mid-range telephoto.
But it is good to know that a 75-150 may be worth keeping if you happen to have one and got only a 14-42 with your digital body to start with.
OMSchwep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:02 PM   #38

Thanks - good points.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:00 PM   #39

Having both digital and manual lens, I found the comments about old glass interesting.

I had tested some of my lens. ( Zoom lens set at 150mm,Tripod mounted, F8, 400 ISO, A priority mode.)

Digital Lens tested: Zuiko Digital; Sigma Digital.
Manual zoom lens tested: Tokina; Vivitar Series 1; Olympus OM Zuiko.

Subject was a cactus plant, with the focus point the needles on the little cactus finger tip that points to the camera. One thing that stands out is how much more work and time to achieve results with the manuals vs. the digital zooms. The live view and 10x magnification made the manual focus easier, but still a lot of trouble compared to the digitals.
For me, the edge goes to the digitals, both image wise, and ease & speed of shooting. These shots are posted on Smugmug, to make it easy to enlarge.
(I also tested an OM Zuiko 50mm Macro. An excellent lens.)

1. Digital Zuiko zoom 150mm

2. Sigma zoom at 150mm:

3. Tokina zoom @ 150mm

4. Series 1 Vivitar zoom @ 150mm:

5. Om Zuiko zoom @150mm:

6. Also tested: OM Zuiko 50mm Macro.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:57 AM   #40

Personally I like the Vivitar image best. I have the Vivitar 55mm macro and find it to be an excellent lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote