Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Personally I like the Vivitar image best. I have the Vivitar 55mm macro and find it to be an excellent lens.
Fuuny, I was just about to post how I like the OM150 the best. Maybe it's the saturated greens that seem to be true of all the Vivitar lenses that i own that makes me not like it as much. I really don't like the total lack of bokeh on the ZD150. Square grid background? Is that normal for that lens? The OM macro seemed disappointing as well. I get better from my Tamron (then again it was listed at over $400 in the 2005 B&H 35mm catalog so I guess it wasn't exactly a cheap piece of glass) and maybe my Canon.

I'm sure that I can actually produce as good or better quality with my Tamron than I can with the Sigma but for general shooting I find I use the latter almost exclusively now just because it takes the focus issue out of the equation. Once it gets sunny here I can do some more tests, I'm not convinced the quality of my Tokina 400mm doesn't match the Sigma at that length as well stopped down. The Sigma blows it away wide open. And since it's mostly cloudy here this time of year it's hard to focus so I'm liking the Sigma more and more.

If I have time this week I'll post some examples of macro work done with a couple different lenses.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
I really don't like the total lack of bokeh on the ZD150. Square grid background? Is that normal for that lens?
If I have time this week I'll post some examples of macro work done with a couple different lenses.

John
The square grid background is just that. All shots were taken on my screened-in lanai, and the screen was about 2-3 ft behind the cactus plant. Therefore, you are seeing a grid background from the screen. Most of the shots were on a sunny day, but the OM zoom shot was on a rainy day.

(And the OM 50mm Macro I picked up for $25 on e-bay some years ago. It has performed well. I took 2 seconds to throw in a quick shot while I was out there shooting with the zooms.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
The square grid background is just that. All shots were taken on my screened-in lanai, and the screen was about 2-3 ft behind the cactus plant. Therefore, you are seeing a grid background from the screen. Most of the shots were on a sunny day, but the OM zoom shot was on a rainy day.

(And the OM 50mm Macro I picked up for $25 on e-bay some years ago. It has performed well. I took 2 seconds to throw in a quick shot while I was out there shooting with the zooms.)
Thanks for the clarification, I thought it was a bit weird the way the background looked. $25 for the OM macro is quite the deal, they go for 4 times that now on Ebay. Tells me lots of people are looking to use old glass these days, at least for macro.

John
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
... Maybe it's the saturated greens that seem to be true of all the Vivitar lenses ...
In this case, I believe the green is more saturated because the image is more under exposed than the others. I have a Vivitar 55mm macro and love it. It's very sharp and produces beautiful images (macro and non-macro).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
In this case, I believe the green is more saturated because the image is more under exposed than the others. I have a Vivitar 55mm macro and love it. It's very sharp and produces beautiful images (macro and non-macro).
Could be but I know all the Vivitar lenses I have have a green cast to them, goes away with a skylight filter so not a big deal.

Any chance you can share some of the Vivitar macro shots? Not sure about anyone else but I'd love to see them.

John
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:07 AM   #46

Default Macro work

I'm going to post a few macro or near macro pics done with old glass, each with it's own post just because it's easier to keep things straight that way.

John
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:13 AM   #47

Default Tamron

These two were done with the Tamorn 80-300 in macro mode, the moss was done at 1:1.55 with bounce flash as the light source. I'm not sure what magnification was used for the flowers or what the lighting was, I took pics both with and w/o the flash and at this point I have no idea what is what. If I had to guess I'd say flash was used. Both were PPed.
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:17 AM   #48

Default Stacked

This was done with a 150mm Spiratone bellows lens stacked on the Tamron at 300mm. Lighting was an old Soligor AR-20 ring flash aperture around f11 I think. Magnification is roughly 2:1. This was just an experiment. I've had goo dluck using the Spiratone mounted on my 200mm Spiratone for just over 1x but for 2x I think a 100mm prime and the Canon would be better.
Attached Images

Last edited by jelow1966; Mar 16, 2010 at 1:55 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:19 AM   #49

Default Canon

Done with a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens mounted on a homemade extension tube for a little over 1:1 magnification. Bounce flash used along with a slide projector. Like all of them so far it was done hand held.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:09 AM   #50

Default Tests

This might be of interest to some:

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/t_om_zdx.html

It's interesting to see what an amazing image he got wide open with the Tamron 300 2.8 when everything else I have seen of that lens including his test shots shows it to be mediocre at best that way. Also makes me think that the lens used in the tests that were linked in Zigs original post of the Sigma 135-400 was bad since the results don't at all match what we see here. Maybe no one else cares but I'd still like to have a top notch 300mm lens to play with. The Sigma is great but it's boring.

John

ps. Might make more sense now that a whole sentence isn't missing from my post. Wonder what happened to it....

Last edited by jelow1966; Mar 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM.