Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:19 AM   #1

Default Old glass thread?

Would there be any interest in an old glass thread (or if there is one already I apologize). I shoot with nothing but old glass and would be glad to share observations, lens reviews etc but judging from the looks I got at the local camera shop I may be the ONLY one interested in this.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Would there be any interest in an old glass thread (or if there is one already I apologize). I shoot with nothing but old glass and would be glad to share observations, lens reviews etc but judging from the looks I got at the local camera shop I may be the ONLY one interested in this.

John
Hi John,

By virtue of you post, I think you just did start an old glass thread (smile).

I personally, don't shoot a lot with legacy glass as my eyes aren't what they used to be and I find that the AF system in my camera does a much better job than I do. But, I'm always interested in learning how other people are using their Olympus cameras, the lenses they're using and the results they're getting.

Here's one shot I took using an E-500 and a OM Zuiko 135mm 3.5 lens. It is a really nice lens that provides excellent results and can be found on EBay, these days for very short money. I think I paid 25bucks for it. I had intended to use it for portraits. But, I've found that I just get better results with a 12-60mm ZD.

I'm looking forward to seeing some posts from you with results from your favorite lenses.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3

I know what you mean about eyes. Only a matter of time I'm afraid before AF will be needed for anything other than macro. A better viewfinder may delay that day, I can think of almost no viewfinder worse for what I do than the one on my e-500.

Beautiful pic. I'll have to start looking into Oly glass, it's easy enough to get the right adapter and they do have some awesome old lenses. Love to try the old 300mm 5.6(?) but they are still pretty pricey.

I'll see what I can do about getting some shots organized, and see if I can remember which lens I used to take them! Yikes, maybe I shouldn't have started this thread.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:16 PM   #4

It's not so much the eyes but plain lazyness for me..
I picked up an adapter because I had a bag full of old lenses for the OM1 and OM2 but the new lenses were built for digicams while my older ones were made for film. Had a hard time getting them as sharp as they needed to be.

Probably my fault.

I can't beat the my new lenses for finish or ease of use, so the old ones went back in the bag....

The 50mm f1.2 may be an exception...

Last edited by Scouse; Feb 15, 2010 at 7:19 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:51 PM   #5

Default Another set of lazy, bad eyes.

I'm not really sorry I didn't get into the MF lenses on the 4/3 cameras. I'm just too dependent on today's autofocus.

The digital Zuikos are just too good.

Now about the micro cameras, I'm still tempted by using lenses for the Leica M-series on them on a manual focus basis. Maybe some day, but not now.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Default Some shots.

Okay I couldn't really tell which shot was taken with which lens with any chance of being right so i decided to go out and shoot some with various lenses today so I'd know. However the sun went away as I got started so I only got a few usable shots. All were done on an e-500 at ISO 400 hand held in Aperture mode. They were shot raw and developed with Studio 2. I didn't adjust anything but the exposure so the differences in WB would show.

As for the pics, the first is done with my Tokina 400mm 5.6 K-mount. Nice lens, a bit soft wide open but decent. Easy to hand hold with good light. 13' focus distance is nice, plenty close for the larger birds. Not as good with bugs.

The second is a Spiratone 200mm 4.5 T-mount. Rounds things some and color balance is different. I like using the 'preset' type lens in the field because it easier and quicker to focus wide open and then stop down. That said this is basically a lens I bought for satcking though I do take it out now and then.

Last one is my Tamron 60-300mm macro zoom SP Adaptall with K-mount at 300mm. My best overall lens. Sharp when I get the focus right coupled with macro abilities of 1:1.5 make it pretty much the only lens I need to take.

I have a few others that I'll post samples from later after I sort thru things a bit.

Keep in mind I have been shooting birds for about 8 months so obviously the quality won't match what some of the more experienced members here produce. It's just a fun challenge for me, a break from the macro world. Note that none is perfectly in focus. Normally I'd sharpen them up to compensate.
John
Attached Images

Last edited by jelow1966; Feb 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:38 AM   #7

Hi John,

Considering that you were hand holding a 400mm lens in less than ideal lighting conditions, that first shot is quite good. That and the fact that the E-500 doesn't have image stabilization- a very useful feature that, regardless how steady you think you can hold a camera with a 400mm lens mounted on to it, does make a difference in sharpness. And, speaking from personal experience, the E-500's OPV is very difficult to properly focus a manual lens
in anything but bright light. At 13ft, the in-focus area is less than 3/4 of an inch. A moving subject only adds to the difficulty.

Coincidentally, I had a Tokina ATX SD 400mm 5.6 lens with a Minolta MD mount. I bought last year as a possible low cost solution for shooting birds.
I think your assessment is about right, the lens did a good job at moderate distances of 13 to 30ft. It did suffer from purple fringing though and I ended up replacing it with the Sigma 135-400mm AP0 DG.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

Considering that you were hand holding a 400mm lens in less than ideal lighting conditions, that first shot is quite good. That and the fact that the E-500 doesn't have image stabilization- a very useful feature that, regardless how steady you think you can hold a camera with a 400mm lens mounted on to it, does make a difference in sharpness. And, speaking from personal experience, the E-500's OPV is very difficult to properly focus a manual lens
in anything but bright light. At 13ft, the in-focus area is less than 3/4 of an inch. A moving subject only adds to the difficulty.

Coincidentally, I had a Tokina ATX SD 400mm 5.6 lens with a Minolta MD mount. I bought last year as a possible low cost solution for shooting birds.
I think your assessment is about right, the lens did a good job at moderate distances of 13 to 30ft. It did suffer from purple fringing though and I ended up replacing it with the Sigma 135-400mm AP0 DG.
Thanks for the compliment. IS would be a huge help I'm sure, as would a camera with better ISO range, 400 seems like the usuable limit with the e-500. I'm never sure if the focus issue is camera shake or just that you can't tell with any certainty thru the viewfinder if it's razor sharp. Maybe both. I keep thinking an e-3 or e-30 would help. Or a split image screen.

I have the same purple fringe problem with the Tokina, espacially if shooting against a cloudy sky. Tree branches seem to be the worst. Doesn't show up as much with waterfowl.

I'll try to get some other shots up here soon.

ps. I'm really bummed the gull shot didn't turn out better. It was such a nice pose.

Last edited by jelow1966; Feb 16, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
I'm never sure if the focus issue is camera shake or just that you can't tell with any certainty thru the viewfinder if it's razor sharp. Maybe both.
Hi John,

I'm pretty sure it's a bit of both. A couple of suggestions if you haven't already tried them;

When I had the E-500, I tried using an ME-1 eye cup. It magnifies the field of view. The good news is it's easier to focus. You do sacrifice a little of the frame. Since it's magnified, you don't see the entire photo.

Also, have you tried an adapter with an auto - confirm chip mounted to it?
RJ accessories store on EBay sells them (among other suppliers). Here is a link to one of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-PK-ad...ht_6237wt_1167

I know that a number of forum regulars use them with good success. Steven R down in Florida I believe uses one and last I read, he was satisfied.

Zig
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

I'm pretty sure it's a bit of both. A couple of suggestions if you haven't already tried them;

When I had the E-500, I tried using an ME-1 eye cup. It magnifies the field of view. The good news is it's easier to focus. You do sacrifice a little of the frame. Since it's magnified, you don't see the entire photo.

Also, have you tried an adapter with an auto - confirm chip mounted to it?
RJ accessories store on EBay sells them (among other suppliers). Here is a link to one of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AF-confirm-PK-ad...ht_6237wt_1167

I know that a number of forum regulars use them with good success. Steven R down in Florida I believe uses one and last I read, he was satisfied.

Zig

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that, sounds like just the thing I need especially since my current adapter is held together with screws taken from one of my Vivitar lenses. Is there a difference in quality since the prices vary so much on ebay?

As for the ME-1 I'm never sure if I like it or not. Sometimes I use it and think it's the best thing ever and some days I use it and find it makes things worse. Might just depend on the light.

Thanks again for the replies.

John