Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:05 PM   #11

HI Zig

Those pics are looking pretty good indeed .. nice contrast, good detail and sharp to boot. Really surprised how well they look esp for a lens with that FL and cost!

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:45 PM   #12

Zig, I have to tell you those are the first sharp photos I've seen taken with that lens. I've looked around a bit on the internet at photos with it and none are that good. I purchased the 70 300 over the Sigma because of that reason. You may have mentioned but I didn't notice, did you do a lot of post processing such as sharpening etc. Very impressive shots, gives me a new outlook on that particular lens.
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Zig, I have to tell you those are the first sharp photos I've seen taken with that lens. I've looked around a bit on the internet at photos with it and none are that good. I purchased the 70 300 over the Sigma because of that reason. You may have mentioned but I didn't notice, did you do a lot of post processing such as sharpening etc. Very impressive shots, gives me a new outlook on that particular lens.
Eric
Hi Eric,

sorry for taking a long time to respond. I don't have daily access to the internet so I'm not able to get on often.

The photos were all pp using Adobe's ACR 5.6. I adjusted the files for WB, clarity and vibrance. I didn't do any add'l sharpening -- other than what is preset by the software for the E30-which is not much if any.

You have to be aware that the key to getting fairly sharp shots of small songbirds is getting as close as possible-regardless of lens. I was approx. 8-10ft away when those shots were taken. My focal length was probably around the middle of the rannge, which is where the lens is sharpest. I find that, with the Sigma, the lens softens up significantly beyond a focal length of 300mm.

Hope that helps.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:22 AM   #14

Thanks for the info Zig and you're right the closer the better but those are still the best shots I've seen with that lens. I'll have to try getting real close with the 70 300 where I don't have to have it maxed out at 300mm. Most of my shots are from 25 to 40 on the small birds but if I have enough patience and sit still I might be able to get within 15 feet of some of them.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:11 AM   #15

Hiya, Zig! Greetings there, in Cape Cod! My parents used to live in East Harwich, an my aunt lives near Buzzards Bay. You have a lot of beauty all around you!!! In your pictures that you sent, I love the clarity of the birds in the first two pictures... I really cannot get over how I see such details in their feathers! Good job!

Then, there is your link... I took a look there... Holy cats, there are two flowers (pages 2) photos that really should be professionally mounted and framed... Then there are your bird photos... Finns are really into birds... I have seen some good bird photos in this forum, such as yours, and your pictures get me to cool my jets, stop and take a closer look... but I like what I see. I love the fourth picture from the left... great one... though the first two are very cute.

I am really happy with your shots. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hiya, Zig! Greetings there, in Cape Cod! My parents used to live in East Harwich, an my aunt lives near Buzzards Bay. You have a lot of beauty all around you!!! In your pictures that you sent, I love the clarity of the birds in the first two pictures... I really cannot get over how I see such details in their feathers! Good job!

Then, there is your link... I took a look there... Holy cats, there are two flowers (pages 2) photos that really should be professionally mounted and framed... Then there are your bird photos... Finns are really into birds... I have seen some good bird photos in this forum, such as yours, and your pictures get me to cool my jets, stop and take a closer look... but I like what I see. I love the fourth picture from the left... great one... though the first two are very cute.

I am really happy with your shots. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland

Hi Ned,

Thanks for taking the time to view my site and for all the kind comments.
Yes, the Cape is quite a picturesque location. But so are many places on this Earth, with Finland being one.
Thanks again.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote