Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:23 AM   #1

Default Sigma 135-400mm shooting raw

Decided to take out and try the Sigma 135-400mm lens again. It's been in the closet for some time now. But a few comments posted about 'breaking the bank' with a 50-200mm/EC-20 telecon combo prompted me to have a look see at the output of this lens. It's generally available on the used market for under 400dollars.

These two images were shot this morning using an E-30/sigma 135-400mm lens mounted on a #3001 Manfrotto tripod.

The 1st was shot Aperture mode, ISO800 focal length 330mm 7.1, 1/200sec.
The 2nd was shot at Aperture mode, ISO500, focal length 400mm, 9.0, 1/80sec.

What you're looking at are 2 raw files pp in Adobe Camera RAW 5.6 with no cropping, The only changes made were to correct white balance. I added a little clarity and vibrance. No sharpening OR noise reduction was done.

If interested, you can see the original files here:http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Phot...88899015_ayEUr
Attached Images

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 15, 2010 at 8:27 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:37 AM   #2

....well, thosearereallynicepictures ! Your birds are so pretty, I just was outside and saw only a couple 'black birds', the ugly ones.

That lens with the E-30 does well and I suspect if you did not have other than it, you would be quite pleased.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....well, thosearereallynicepictures !

That lens with the E-30 does well and I suspect if you did not have other than it, you would be quite pleased.
Hi Bob,

The lens does indeed do pretty well and if I didn't have the 50-200mm with the EC-14, the Sigma would serve me just fine. I bought it for the added reach this lens has and frankly, the price was appealing. I did read a fair bit of information about this particular lens so, I knew I was getting a lens reported to be fairly soft beyond 250mm. But, I think the copy I own is sharp to begin with and with ACR 5.6, you can sharpen up the files, further still. As much as I'd love to own the Oly 300mm ZD prime, this will have to do for now.

Zig
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Excellent images, Zig. If you ever tire of that Sigma , I know a person in Kentucky that would be more than happy with it heheheh
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5

Thanks Gary.

I've been following some of your posts in the wildlife forum. You've got some really great images of a Northern Flicker.

Zig
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:36 PM   #6

Default a couple of more shots

A couple of additional shots:

The 1st is a Goldfinch again shot at 400mm focal, ISO500, f9.0 1/125sec.
no cropping, sharpening, or noise reduction. just adjusted the exp & WB
the 2nd shot is a 100% crop of the first no sharpening or NR.
Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:29 PM   #7

There seems quite a bit of difference between these and the ones posted in the earlier thread. Is that due to the ec-14 being on in the previous ones, or just because those were handheld and these shot on a tripod. For the money these look quite good. Might be worth it to have it just so I don't have to throw away 75% of my pics because the focus was off.
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
There seems quite a bit of difference between these and the ones posted in the earlier thread. Is that due to the ec-14 being on in the previous ones, or just because those were handheld and these shot on a tripod. For the money these look quite good. Might be worth it to have it just so I don't have to throw away 75% of my pics because the focus was off.
Hi John,

I do believe there is a difference. Part of the answer lies in the fact that I know a bit more about this lens- i.e. An EC-14 telecon , IMHO, should not be used with it as I believe it does add a bit to the degradation. Also, for me, a tripod is a must. Some one with a steadier hand can probably get away without using a tripod but, I sure can't. Also, in these shots, I set the camera to aperture mode and set the aperture to settings I thought would work best at 250mm, 300mm, and 400mm. I started with the at ISO 800 worked my way up to 2000 and back down to 500 depending on the light. I started shooting at 7am this morning and stopped around 9:30am. I also applied some exp comp that ranged between -.03 to -.07 when the lighting got particularly bright and I didn't want to stop and adjust ISO because of the activity. Lastly, some of my shutter speeds ended up around 1/125sec. due to the lack of light, without the tripod, the results would have been nowhere near as clean.

Zig
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:27 PM   #9

Zig, your E30 obviously works great with that lens. Nice bird shots. Lots of detail and nice & sharp. You couldn't ask for better.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

I do believe there is a difference. Part of the answer lies in the fact that I know a bit more about this lens- i.e. An EC-14 telecon , IMHO, should not be used with it as I believe it does add a bit to the degradation. Also, for me, a tripod is a must. Some one with a steadier hand can probably get away without using a tripod but, I sure can't. Also, in these shots, I set the camera to aperture mode and set the aperture to settings I thought would work best at 250mm, 300mm, and 400mm. I started with the at ISO 800 worked my way up to 2000 and back down to 500 depending on the light. I started shooting at 7am this morning and stopped around 9:30am. I also applied some exp comp that ranged between -.03 to -.07 when the lighting got particularly bright and I didn't want to stop and adjust ISO because of the activity. Lastly, some of my shutter speeds ended up around 1/125sec. due to the lack of light, without the tripod, the results would have been nowhere near as clean.

Zig
Thanks for the info.
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote