Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
A lot of good shots on this post. Zig how do you like the
14 54 . I'm considering a lens to replace the 14 42 this year and the 12 60 is more than I want to invest. The shot you took with it looks pretty darn good. Do you feel it is a significant upgrade in quality and usage.
Eric
Hi Eric,
I bought a pristine pre-owned 14-54mm MKI version lens from a forum member and fell in love with it. To my eyes, it was a significant improvement over the 14-45mm kit lens that I got with my E-500. I sold it last Fall and upgraded to a 12-60mm when I was able to sell my E-510 with the 14-54mm.

While I don't regret ever buying the 12-60mm, as it is a beautiful lens that delivers sharp images as well as being a little longer and wider than the 14-54mm, the 14-54mm is a bit faster than the 12-60mm and frankly, to me, the image quality is not so great a difference that it warrants spending almost twice as much for the 12-60mm.

Also, there are always 14-54mm mkI versions available on the used market for around 300 dollars. The newer version of the 14-54mm lens is said to be a bit better in rendering out of focus background. But I'm not really familiar with it.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Tullio,
I'm curious, do you still have your Sony dslr ?
Zig
No. I sold it after getting the Pana G1 and Oly EP1. I figured that with these two cameras in hand, I no longer needed the Sony and so far, I don't regret a single bit.

These ones were taken with the EP1 + 17mm pancake, a very nice little lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
While I don't regret ever buying the 12-60mm, as it is a beautiful lens that delivers sharp images as well as being a little longer and wider than the 14-54mm, the 14-54mm is a bit faster than the 12-60mm and frankly, to me, the image quality is not so great a difference that it warrants spending almost twice as much for the 12-60mm.
Zig
The main reason the 12-60mm never attracted me was it high price (despite its great optics and wider range). I had the 14-54mm and loved it. Some of the best shots I took with the E510 was with this lens. If I end up buying the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter, this is one lens I will buy again.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote