Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1

Default 510/70 300

Good morning everyone, I really like this combination for birding. I'll wait until I get a good deal on a 50 500 but for the present this is a good lens for the price range and quite sharp. Still playing with settings in low light which isn't a friend with this lens but if you can get them to sit still for 2 seconds then 1/40th works just fine.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Good morning everyone, I really like this combination for birding. I'll wait until I get a good deal on a 50 500 but for the present this is a good lens for the price range and quite sharp. Still playing with settings in low light which isn't a friend with this lens but if you can get them to sit still for 2 seconds then 1/40th works just fine.
Eric
Hi Eric,

This looks like a good shot. Unfortunately, the image size you posted is a little too small to appreciate the quality. Maybe, you can edit and repost a larger image.

You hit it right on the head when you said that if you can have the bird sit still for a second or two. I've had a love hate relationship with that particular lens for some ***e now. I'm on my 3rd copy and I didn't replace the first 2 for any quality or defect reason. It was simply a matter of getting frustrated in shooting a bird in flight in anything but the brightest conditions. It was ex-hasperating to have the lens rack back and forth throughout the entire focal range when I attempted to shoot BIF. By the ***e it's done the bird was gone. I tend to use the 50-200 ED with a EC-14 and find I have a lot more success with that combo.

I've accepted the warts of the 70-300mm since, it has a really super focal range, renders exceptionally sharp images and is small and light-making it an easy lens to travel with.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:40 PM   #3

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to what I posted since afterwards I had a ton of stuff to do. This should be better and I tossed in another one. A little cloudy had to go to ISO 200 and Ap at 5.6 with around 1/40 or 50 on the shutter. I love the 510 but I think before the years out I'll upgrade to the 620, I don't know how many shutter activations this thing can take but seems like I've shot quite a few thousand already and I'm planning a trip out west in the fall and don't want it to die right in the middle of Bryce Canyon : )
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:44 PM   #4

Hi Eric,

Aside from the Osprey, the Cardinal is my favorite bird to photograph. Both the male and female are just beautiful(IMHO).

Your shots reinforce that. well done.

Zig
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:54 PM   #5

Thanks Zig, you're right about the 70 300 and BIFs, it can be done but if you sway off a little in your panning then it goes through the entire focus cycle which is a pain to say the least. I use CAF and I've got a few good ones although I don't spend a ton of time on BIFs. I would imagine the 50 200 would work much better. I thought about buying a used one but I'm a zoom freak so my next guy will be the 50 500 and maybe a replacement for the 14 42
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Thanks Zig, you're right about the 70 300 and BIFs, it can be done but if you sway off a little in your panning then it goes through the entire focus cycle which is a pain to say the least. I use CAF and I've got a few good ones although I don't spend a ton of time on BIFs. I would imagine the 50 200 would work much better. I thought about buying a used one but I'm a zoom freak so my next guy will be the 50 500 and maybe a replacement for the 14 42
Well,

I was going to bring this up in the other post but since you've mentioned it here, you just may want to look into getting a used 50-200mm lens ED version. One can usually be found for around 600 dollars. If that's not enough reach, then I'd look for a used EC-20 telecon, which would then give you 50-400 capability. That combo would be very close to what you'd pay for a 12-60mm.

Not trying to dissuade you from getting what you want, but, I've read quite a few reviews on the Sigma 50-500mm and most all of them say that the image quality gets quite soft beyond 350mm.

I had plans on getting the 50-500mm and then decided that my best option was to pick up an EC-20 telecon and add it to the 50-200mm. So far, I haven't done too much testing as I just got it yesterday. I do plan on putting the combo thru a vigorous test while on Florida.

Zig