Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Default We Will Evolve

http://www.evolve.com.my/
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:59 AM   #2

According to the latest post at 43rumors this announcement is related to the E-PL1. No new DSLR announcement is expected on the 28th.

http://43rumors.com/wp-content/uploa...mft_teaser.png
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:09 AM   #3

While we're thinking of evolving, Here's a good read about designing the perfect camera from Kirk Tuck:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...amera-for.html
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:40 AM   #4

zig, i read kirk's blog post and i really agree with him on the electronic shutter for the reason of being able to sync to higher shutter speeds with flash as some pretty cool shots can be obtained in daylight with this.

as for what i would like to see in future cameras, and i do not think it is out of reach is the ability to mask the sensor at the time of shot sort of an in camera grad neutral density filter that could be shaped and controlled by user. the reason i do not believe it is out of reach is because in olympus cameras if they are able to map out bad pixles, they should be able to map in different exposure settings on the sensor at the time of shot. this to me could be a huge game changer and doesn't seem unattainable.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:56 AM   #5

Kirk sounds more like someone interested in trying to increase readership to me, and a little National Enquirer-like to make a wild prediction about prism finders going away in five years. Looking at his typical subjects, Kirk doesn't seem like the kinda guy looking to shoot anything that moves. If he did, he wouldn't be saying that.

I remember Ken Rockwell once predicting that the Olympus 4/3rd's system would be dead and gone by 2007 (it's still there in his E-1 "review"). Take what Kirk says for what it's worth, which is not much more than what anyone else is saying. He just has a website he pays for from which to say it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
According to the latest post at 43rumors this announcement is related to the E-PL1. No new DSLR announcement is expected on the 28th.

http://43rumors.com/wp-content/uploa...mft_teaser.png
One day it's the next E5 the next day it's that no DSLR will be introduced. They seem to scour the internet and post the next newest rumor anyone starts. Eventually....if you post everything you can find, something will turn out to actually be right.

I'm not quite sure how much credence more than 24 hours in advance of any official announcement anyone should give a website that posts stuff like this on the current front page..

"First off: Thanks for sending me rumors! What kind of rumors did I receive? Some about the E-5 some about the next Olympus PEN some about the Pansonic MFT series and some about Sigma (yes Sigma). Maybe in one of our next posts I will post all this rumors under a “FT2 value” (from unknown and unreliable source)."

Duh!

So....he's covering his back-end in every which direction you can point and, in the end, can say he had SOMETHING there that was right.

What exactly IS this guy saying, other than he doesn't have the faintest idea what's coming in 11 days?

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:20 AM   #7

Yet another classic 4/3rd's site "rumor"...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34561521

and a great answer..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34561739

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I hope that's not all it is as it shows the FourThirds logo and not the Micro FourThirds logo!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Kirk sounds more like someone interested in trying to increase readership to me, and a little National Enquirer-like to make a wild prediction about prism finders going away in five years. Looking at his typical subjects, Kirk doesn't seem like the kinda guy looking to shoot anything that moves. If he did, he wouldn't be saying that.

I remember Ken Rockwell once predicting that the Olympus 4/3rd's system would be dead and gone by 2007 (it's still there in his E-1 "review"). Take what Kirk says for what it's worth, which is not much more than what anyone else is saying. He just has a website he pays for from which to say it.

During the Winter months when there's not a whole lot of interesting opportunities to go out and use the camera, I find myself spending way too much time looking at a whole host of sites and devouring information that I find.
Most of it is an interesting read and that's about it. I've never been one to get too cranked up about 'what could be or the next best thing coming out'
And, I altogether ignore posts on other forums that begin with:

If Olympus doesn't release a new camera and soon I'm going to................. (you can fill in the blank).

I'm pretty satisfied with the equipment I have. It meets my current needs and current personal abilities. If Olympus does release a revolutionary new fourthirds DSLR on the 28th, I wouldn't buy it now anyways as I'm experiencing a personal budget shortfall.

But............if Greg (the Northern one) ever tires of his 300mm 2.8, I'd be happy to talk to him about it.

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hi, Greg

I totally agree with you. I'm really skeptical that an EVF will replace an OVF for anyone shooting action. (Although I do wish that Oly would produce a DSLR with a much more quiet shutter sound, and the m4/3 should be able to do that but they are NOT, as you've pointed out in the past, DSLRs).

Everything else he's saying is just his implementation of a crystal ball.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote