Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:09 PM   #1

Default Couple from today

Always trying to improve but when do your abilities and technology reach perfection : ) I'm a relative newcomer to dslrs so my abilities are still years in the making : ) but at the same time I think a lot of us are sometimes limited in camera and or lens ability as well. I would love to be shooting these with an F 2.8 zuiko 300 with a 1.4 attached but 6 grand exceeds my boy toys unless I start doing it as a living. I find the 510 has a tendency as in the titmouse shot to overexpose a lot in bright areas and the 70 300 is limited in low light so we do what we can, make some adjustments and hope for the best : ) Anyway a lot of questions about the next great camera out there but my question would be when will Oly put out a 4 or 500 mm prime with glass as good as the 70 300 for say around the 800 dollar range. If I can't come up with 6 grand for the great glass then good glass with a little more reach would be real nice for us wildlife/birders.
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:35 PM   #2

These are quite nice Eric, especially that Cardinal!

Bob H.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammitt View Post
These are quite nice Eric, especially that Cardinal!

Bob H.
Boy toys aside, I agree with Bob.

I know I don't plan on single-handedly supporting the economy by what I consider big ticket purchases now that I'm retired. I'll have to learn to work with what I have now... exception being the Fujifilm HS-10 if it feels and works up to my expectations during testing.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:30 PM   #4

I am glad to see good photos like these and others with the 70-300 lens. I have yet to have any success with it. I am very new to all this and have just not found the right settings - I guess.

Not using tripod. Oly E30. I am not sure that image stabilization is working. I have it set to "1". I am not feeling any vibration in the camera which I was expecting after seeing the video review of the E520 at cameralabs.com. It is about 2.5 minutes in http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ol...o_review.shtml

Below are the best shots I have been able to achieve.

I am doing better with 14-42 kit lens

Last edited by tames; Mar 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM.
tames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:56 PM   #5

The 14-42 pic is great.

It would seen the 70-300 shot wasn't an open shot. There seems to be out of focus foreground branches that would certainly influence the sharpness. Otherwise it is difficult to say what else may be happening. Nothing really appears sharp here. What was the shutter speed? What happens when you shoot something on a sunny day. If the same, there is something seriously wrong.

The best clue as to if the stabilization is functioning is when shutting off the power. It the camera has a brief rattle as it parks the lens, that's the stabilization shutting down. I'd assume that it was working if you hear (or feel) that buzz.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:43 PM   #6

Haven't had many sunny days yet to try it.

I used manual focus since I knew there were foreground objects in the way. I have tried other pics with auto focus, same kind of results or worse. All cloudy days. Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow!

Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
-my question would be when will Oly put out a 4 or 500 mm prime with glass as good as the 70 300 for say around the 800 dollar range. If I can't come up with 6 grand for the great glass then good glass with a little more reach would be real nice for us wildlife/birders.
Eric
I doubt we will see a budget Oly long prime or zoom in the 4-500mm range any time soon, but Sigma has the 50-500mm Bigma for under a grand. A used one probally could be found in your price range.

Never having used the 70-300mm but comparing examples between the two lenses I think the quality is about the same.

Here are a few examples I took last year using the Bigma + EC14 on the E-30.

1/800s f/11 iso800 @708mm

1/500s f/11 iso800 @708mm

1/160s f/11 iso800 @ 708mm

1/1000 f/11 iso800 @708mm

1/1000s f/11 iso800 @ 477mm
satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by satire23 View Post
I doubt we will see a budget Oly long prime or zoom in the 4-500mm range any time soon, but Sigma has the 50-500mm Bigma for under a grand. A used one probably could be found in your price range.
Amazing pix - definitely makes a good case for the Bigma.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:18 PM   #9

Those are nice shots Satire and the bigma as I've mentioned to many is probably my next lens seeing as how the four thirds guys seem to be putting most of their efforts into the short end lenses. I've considered an EC14 for the 70 300 but it's already not great in low light so stopping it down more doesn't make a lot of sense.
Tames I would suggest looking up Wrotniaks suggestions on setting up your camera settings and the 14 42 shot was fine, just looks like you had some brush in the way on the other shot and didn't get focus quite right. Even with IS the tripod is a handy tool if the shot is farther away and the shutter speed is slow.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tames View Post
Haven't had many sunny days yet to try it.

I used manual focus since I knew there were foreground objects in the way. I have tried other pics with auto focus, same kind of results or worse. All cloudy days. Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow!

As someone who has done a lot of manual focus I'll say this, unless the sun is out forget it unless you are doing closeup work. From the Exif data I'd say camera shake isn't a problem unless you were shivering. I just think that the small viewfinder and lack of light meant you couldn't see well enough to get what you wanted in focus. Did you try autofocus? from experience i know it doesn't do well with stuff in the way but it can be made to work, at least on my Sigma. Only other advice is just keep trying, take pics of everything. It's not like you are stuck with them, keep what you want and learn from the rest.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote