Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:29 AM   #1

Default ISO 3200 on the E30 does not look half bad

A friend of mine is a graduate of Baylor University from long ago and is a big ladies basketball fan. The lady who coaches the women's team at Baylor has a daughter who is a senior at Waco Midway High School, will be playing for her mother next year at Baylor and they were playing a game in the Dallas area Friday night. He asked if I would be interested in shooting some images of her during the game.

I agreed, but wasn't expecting much of anything as most high school gymns have lighting that ranges from bad to truly awful, but this was a new high school and the lighting turned out to be amazing for a high school venue.

Still, it required ISO 3200 to have any chance of stopping the action in a half-way decent manner. These were shot at ISO 3200 using manual exposure, 1/640 second at f3.5 and a manual white balance setting with the E30 and 50-200 SWD. All are Large Superfine JPEG's and were shot using the LOW noise filter setting. I really like them alot viewed on my home monitor at Smugmug's X3Large size, which is the equivalent to about a 9x12 image. At a full-size, 100% view, there's definitely plenty of grain in the darker areas, but for me and my use of anything like this I would shoot, that inconsequential. An 8x10 or 11x14 print should be as much as I would ever need.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 20, 2010 at 2:11 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:42 AM   #2

Hi Greg

Those are looking pretty good. Did you use any flash or just really on the high iso to get the fast shutter speed ? How did you find the AF on the E30 and with the 50-200SWD ? Just wondering how many keepers you managed o get as those look nice and sharp too.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3

Wow, you are absolutely right... not bad at all at 3200... Great photos... especially #4, beautiful colour and sharpness, capturing the action... Well done!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Greg

Those are looking pretty good. Did you use any flash or just really on the high iso to get the fast shutter speed ? How did you find the AF on the E30 and with the 50-200SWD ? Just wondering how many keepers you managed o get as those look nice and sharp too.

Cheers

Harj
Just high ISO. No flash. This gymn had some amazingly good lighting for a non-professional site.

The AF with this combination is very good. Jumps into focus very fast. Since I was following this one girl, I was doing a lot of fast refocussing using single AF and the single center point to try and keep the system from locking on to someone else.

Typical of trying to shoot an action-type subject, my timing was sometimes just a little off. I stayed in single shot, so didn't try and get the one, perfect shot out of a 4-5 image burst. I should have just to play with it, but I made the mistake of taking just the battery in the camera and it started showing 1/2 power during the first quarter so I limited my shooting during the game so it would last to the end. If I didn't like the looks of an image, I deleted it and went on. I can tell from the first and last shots in the folder I took 85 pictures during the evening. Once home I elected not to post a few others, but 54 did make it to my website.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:57 PM   #5

Hi Greg

What's really good about those pics is that there is no sign of any banding in those pics and thats good news esp for any new 4/3 cameras that we might get to see from Oly. If they can improve ISo3200 further that'd be great and if they can push it to ISO6400 then that'll be fine. From my E3.. I think ISO 1600 is just fine although ISO3200 I've not really tried... the E30's high ISo is looking good.
Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:48 PM   #6

Greg, those are fabulous for that ISO. Especially when you consider the fact there was no external lighting other than what was in the gym. Very nice.
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote