Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
As promised here is a shot of spider eyes at 6x. Only time I have ever used this setup on something living. The spider had an injured rear leg so it stayed somewhat still for me, not still enough to do things right however as this was hand held with the front lens resting on the surface for support. Only got the one decent shot.
Magnifications like that are almost impossible. The depth of field is so shallow that the inertia of the mirror moving out of the way is enough to move the focus. That is focus rail stuff, and would take a good rail at that. Mirror lockup would be a good thing too. For attempting this on something live, you did well here!

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:50 PM   #12

John: seeing that ugly thing reminds me why I like to shoot birds instead of insects!! Good shot. I'll be glad to leave the bugs to you and northern Greg! LOL.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
John: seeing that ugly thing reminds me why I like to shoot birds instead of insects!! Good shot. I'll be glad to leave the bugs to you and northern Greg! LOL.
Well, bugs need love too you know Not really what I normally shoot but the chance presented itself. Besides, birds won't let me get that close.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Magnifications like that are almost impossible. The depth of field is so shallow that the inertia of the mirror moving out of the way is enough to move the focus. That is focus rail stuff, and would take a good rail at that. Mirror lockup would be a good thing too. For attempting this on something live, you did well here!

Greg
Thanks! I've never used a rail though I just bought one on ebay. Doubt it will be precise enough for the higher mags. I usually just have the camera set on the shooting table and plugged into a small tv and then just slide the object front and back until it looks good and snap the shot. Seeing the pic on the tv will tell me if it worked or not. Since they are both on the same surface any vibration will be equal for both so the sharpness isn't lost. Took me a while before i figured that out. BTW I think the depth of field at 6x works out to be .014mm or something ( I have a table somewhere that lists them).

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Thanks! I've never used a rail though I just bought one on ebay. Doubt it will be precise enough for the higher mags. I usually just have the camera set on the shooting table and plugged into a small tv and then just slide the object front and back until it looks good and snap the shot. Seeing the pic on the tv will tell me if it worked or not. Since they are both on the same surface any vibration will be equal for both so the sharpness isn't lost. Took me a while before i figured that out. BTW I think the depth of field at 6x works out to be .014mm or something ( I have a table somewhere that lists them).

John
the formula is:

DOF= f*C*(M+1)/(M*M)

f is the f-number
C is the circle of confusion
M is the magnification
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote