Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:23 PM   #1

Default Macro... a bit extreme

(if there is an ad, i don't endorse it)

I coupled my recently aquired EC-20 teleconverter to the 35 macro, and threw in the Canon 250D closeup lens to boot. Subjects were almost touching the front edge of the lens.

Pics follow
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:32 PM   #2

These are uncropped at max magnification.

First a ladybug to give an idea of magnification. Even at f22 the DOF is super narrow.

This is the bag the thistle seed for the finch feeder comes in.

Uncropped.

A closer crop.

I don't know when is enough, but I don't see much need for my use. Interesting, but not too practical.

Greg
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:00 PM   #3

Max I've done would be around 6x, roughly a width of 3mm. I'll find some of the pics and post them here. I routinly shoot at 4x in the studio. I've never had much luck however doing what you were, field work at higher magnifications. Maybe I just don't have the patience for all the setup involved, and I don't have the steadiness to handhold above 1x (maybe 2x in bright light).

Have you tried just the EC-20 and 35mm Macro alone? I'd think that would be a perfect combo.
John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Max I've done would be around 6x, roughly a width of 3mm. I'll find some of the pics and post them here. I routinly shoot at 4x in the studio. I've never had much luck however doing what you were, field work at higher magnifications. Maybe I just don't have the patience for all the setup involved, and I don't have the steadiness to handhold above 1x (maybe 2x in bright light).

Have you tried just the EC-20 and 35mm Macro alone? I'd think that would be a perfect combo.
John
No, haven't tried that yet. I just got the EC-20 and I'm just playing with what will be the maximum magnification I'm likely too ever use. I don't know the exact magnification here, but any subject will have to be fairly flat because of DOF. Maybe the extremely small mites or something.

This was just messing around, which is mainly what I do. The setup is just handheld with the Metz 15 MS-1 macro flash (and a hand cobbled adapter to light the short working distance). I've yet to shoot anything macro other than hand held.

My main macro setup has been the 50 f2/EC-14/250D setup. I'll be more interested in swithing the EC-14 with the EC-20 and see how that stands up.

This extreme isn't what I need. I like live bug shooting and the working distance is to short. Removing the 250D would help, but the 50 f2 will be the main tool down the line.

Bug season will be here soon!

Greg
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:55 PM   #5

That is indeed, extreme. I've seen another user who has paired the 35/3.5 and EC20 for some bugs shots. The 50/2 combined with the EC20 should make quite a good 100mm f4 closeup lens. I wonder how that setup would work with the EX25?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That is indeed, extreme. I've seen another user who has paired the 35/3.5 and EC20 for some bugs shots. The 50/2 combined with the EC20 should make quite a good 100mm f4 closeup lens. I wonder how that setup would work with the EX25?
The 35/EC-20 and the 35/EX-25 really should perform in a similar way. The tube should give an edge because there should be no degradation of the image by placing more elements in the mix.

The EC's and the tube cannot be piggybacked because Oly has it set up that the lens would loose contact with the camera (no aperture control).

I've always been impressed with the Canon 250D with the 50 macro. It accomplishes the same type of thing as the tube. It allows the subject to get closer to the lens for greater magnification. That and it can be used with the EC teleconverters.

I'd like to pick up the EX-25 someday, but I have something else in my head other than macro. I'm impressed with the 35-100 at its closest focus and I'm interested in exploring closer focus with that lens. It won't be macro, but the quality should be outstanding. That and I wonder what would happen with the 300mm with hummingbirds at very colse range. Hmmm.

Greg
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
No, haven't tried that yet. I just got the EC-20 and I'm just playing with what will be the maximum magnification I'm likely too ever use. I don't know the exact magnification here, but any subject will have to be fairly flat because of DOF. Maybe the extremely small mites or something.

This was just messing around, which is mainly what I do. The setup is just handheld with the Metz 15 MS-1 macro flash (and a hand cobbled adapter to light the short working distance). I've yet to shoot anything macro other than hand held.

My main macro setup has been the 50 f2/EC-14/250D setup. I'll be more interested in swithing the EC-14 with the EC-20 and see how that stands up.

This extreme isn't what I need. I like live bug shooting and the working distance is to short. Removing the 250D would help, but the 50 f2 will be the main tool down the line.

Bug season will be here soon!

Greg
Really impressive for handheld. I use a metric ruler to find the magnification of my different setups. From the previous work you have posted I look forward to bug season now.

John
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Really impressive for handheld. I use a metric ruler to find the magnification of my different setups. From the previous work you have posted I look forward to bug season now.

John
I believe it is somewhere between 2.5x and 2.75x for the magnitication. It would be incredibly tough to use in the field with anything that moves. I don't put bugs in the fridge to slow 'em down so this outfit will only be for bug eggs, or fungi, or things like that.

I will try to catch a mosquito in the process of sucking me dry, though. A full frame skeeter would be kinda cool.

Greg
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:11 AM   #9

Default Spider eyes

As promised here is a shot of spider eyes at 6x. Only time I have ever used this setup on something living. The spider had an injured rear leg so it stayed somewhat still for me, not still enough to do things right however as this was hand held with the front lens resting on the surface for support. Only got the one decent shot.
Attached Images

Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:15 AM   #10

Default spider

For comparison ( I was going to put this in the macro thread but this is easier) here is the same spider at around 1.5x. I think this was done with a reversed Canon 50mm 1.4 lens and a doubler.

John
Attached Images