Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:45 AM   #1

Default Sigma 30mm f1.4 ex dc hsm four thirds

Would this lens fit (E-xxx cameras)? It mentions four thirds (probably a way too basic way to interpret that this would fit the Oly's right?)
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Super Moderator

the four-thirds version will fit any of the oly 4/3 cameras, e-400/e-500/510/e-620, etc etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:17 AM   #3

There's been a lot of angst over this lens at the Olympus DSLR forum DPReview. Just search using "Sigma 30mm f1.4" and you'll see many posts and sample images. Certain users swear by it, while many others have noted focusing issues with their cameras. I would imagine most focusing problems with this lens comes down to the extremely limited depth of field at f1.4 and the AF system not precisely focusing on the exact point you place the AF sensor due to it finding contrast somewhere else around the area.

The AF points have a sensitivity slightly beyond the marked areas on the screen, and at f1.4 the system might select an area that falls on a subjects ear vs. the eyes, which can be the difference between a very nice image and one you consider out of focus. Here's one comments from a review of this lens at B&H where a user tried two copies of the lens and returned both..

"The first lens missed focus to the left of center by as much as an inch from a distance of 1.5 feet, the second lens missed focus to the upper right by as much as 1 inch at the same exact distance. As I stopped the lens down the accuracy became more in line with what I expected, so this leads me to believe the lenses had some misalignment issues wide open."

Misalignment/quality control issues are always a possibility when it comes to Sigma lenses, but so too could it have been a simple matter of the normal AF area picking up on contrast/detail outside the AF box he was using and focusing not on the exact spot, and at f1.4 you need to be focusing exactly where you want the subject to be in focus or it will not be in focus.

If I were to use this lens, I would go to the custom menu A of my E30 and change the AF sensitivity from normal to the narrower option so the AF point more precisly keeps it's AF range to the field within the AF point I was going to use to focus with.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Feb 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the input.

My wishlist is growing instead of shrinking... makes me angry
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:53 PM   #5

It's an interesting lens the Sigma and I've seen some pretty fine images from it. Not as good as the PL 2.5 F1.4 but its pretty close esp at the price and if you get a really good sample.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
It's an interesting lens the Sigma and I've seen some pretty fine images from it. Not as good as the PL 2.5 F1.4 but its pretty close esp at the price and if you get a really good sample.
The woa? PL 2.5 F1.4?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 7:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
The woa? PL 2.5 F1.4?
Harj meant the PL 25mm f/1.4. Comparing it to the Sigma 30mm always stirs up a lot of controversy in the Oly forum at DPReview. Some folks say the Sigma's IQ is close enough to the PL so that the PL isn't worth the extra money. Other folks say that Sigma's quality control is such that you don't know if you're getting a good lens or not without trying it before buying. Still other folks say the IQ of the PL is beyond compare - truly a Leica-designed lens. If I recall correctly, one of the more senior members of that forum, Bill Turner (he uses the name Bootstrap), once said he owned the PL and sold it to get the Sigma and use the extra money for other purchases.

Ted

PS: I have the PL and I really love it. But it works particularly well on my L1 which most folks don't own.

Edit: I should also note that some folks have found that the the PL 25mm has trouble auto-focusing properly on Oly bodies. This is true for me - it front-focuses on my E-3. Works great on the L1, though.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote