Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:00 AM   #11

I hadn't really investigated the E-PL1, but it is very tempting.... not available in stock here in the UK just yet though, so I can keep pondering the pros and cons of the E-P1, E-PL1 and GF1 just a little bit longer! Lucky me.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:03 AM   #12

EPL1 is the best in price point of the choices in the states. That was the big thing. It is not more then my 500D. Which is a plus in my book.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:31 AM   #13

The choices here in the UK are less clear cut (or maybe they're clearer...):

Olympus E-PL1 + 14-42 = 545
Panasonic GF1 + 14-45 = 579
Canon 500D + 18-55IS = 585

(Olympus E-P1, 17mm, 14-42 + free flash & retro 'PEN' bag = 715)

Olympus E-P2 + 14-42 = 900
Canon 550D + 18-55IS = 900

These are only sample prices from one retailer and prices obviously vary, but I think it highlights why decisions can sometimes be difficult.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:13 PM   #14

DPReview has some ISO 1600 and 3200 full sized samples you can download and view online in their E-P1 review..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusep1/page35.asp

Keep in mind these are shot, as DPReview always does, using the default settings, meaning the NORMAL noise filter setting is applied. Changing the setting to LOW will leave more fine detail at the cost of some more noise/grain in the image. I prefer the LOW setting myself and have used that in all the high ISO images I have posted here taken with the E30 DSLR.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:27 PM   #15

Thanks Greg - that was very useful.

I downloaded ISO 1600 and 3200 samples for the E-P1 and GF1... so what do these tell me? On first looking at them, I liked both E-P1 and GF1 for different reasons (aaarggh!!!!), and immediately recognised that I would be quite happy using these high ISO settings when required.

Looking more closely, it highlights a few things:

(a) the fact that both manufacturers employ very different noise reduction approaches;
(b) that straight off camera (which presumably these samples are?) the E-P1 produces 'nicer' images (more contrast/sharper); and
(c) colour balance is a touch more consistent on the E-P1

Key for me are:

(d) I'd want to post-process everything from the GF1; and
(e) ISO 3200 is far better on the E-P1;

Looking purely at the dpreview studio samples, I think I've come to the conclusion that I would be more happy with the results from the Olympus than the GF1.... The final purchasing decision comes down to handling though (since the costs are very similar), so I just need to try the E-PL1 and see how it fits!!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:31 PM   #16

I'm not exactly sure what has happen to Panasonic JPEG processing. Back when I was using an FZ50 digicam, those JPEG's at ISO's 100 and 200 were magnificent. Almost no need to do anything to them and the white balance sensor in the FZ50 was uniquely good at nailing the right white balance in every type light, mixed or not.

They moved up to the bigger sensor and JPEG processing went to heck. Everything I have read about the GF-1 has said the quality of files from RAW is really good and in-camera JPEG's only so-so.

If you're looking for out-of-camera JPEG quality, Olympus is the one you want.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
I do wonder if Olympus would see fit to include any of the newer features in the E-P1 via firmware updates (e.g. 'diorama' effect, AF-tracking etc..)?
I'd say...not a chance. Olympus is done with the EP1. They've got their money already. The idea behind adding the new features to the EPL1 is to give the new model a differentiation and added incentives for people to upgrade. If they retrofit and incorporate the new stuff to the EP1, users will have less of an incentive to spend money on the new model, even though it is priced very aggressively.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:40 PM   #18

Hi Greg

I was looking at a few FZ10 OOC jpegs today and your so right about the jpegs from earlier cams, esp at ISO 50 to 200 for my FZ10. Not sure what they have done with the venus engine and I think the same applies with the L1 - you have to shoot RAW to get the best out of the files.

Regards the Ep1/EP2 and EPL1 I was a wee bit surprised that there was hardly any difference internally with the cam's other than price. Now talking about price, we just seem to get fleeced in the UK .. the E3 is still being sold at its original 1200 after 2.5 years !

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Feb 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote