Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Guys

I've been trinf to find the link to the gh2 sensor article
Cheers

Harj
I think this is it.

http://www.eoshd.com/entry.php?29-Pa...xposure-sensor

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:44 AM   #12

Hi guys

As much as I'd like to see a new revolutionary E3 replacement, my prediction is that Olympus will come out with an E-30 body that includes incorporating the weathersealing and dustproofing features of the E-3 as well as the OPV of the E-3 and that's about it. It may or may not have the new Panny sensor.

I haven't been a user of Olympus equipment for as long as many of you have. But, ever since I bought into FourThirds, Olympus keeps introducing cameras that are only incremently better than their predecessor.

Their focus (pun intended) is on mFT. And, I agree with Greg- it really doesn't matter what Olympus releases to users of pro Nikon and Canon gear. They're not going to convert to Olypmus anyways.

Don't mean to sound so pessemistic- just trying to be real.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:36 AM   #13

i think we need to recognise how capable some APSC cameras really are. Recently probably only D300 was pro capable in a stand alone sense, but the appearance of 7D sees Canon fielding a pro capable crop sensor for the first time too.

Although I guess weve all seen other APSC bodies used as pro platforms, they are not supported in the same way by respective makers. The universal acceptance of true pro APSC platforms changes all that.

This is the direction E4 needs to go, and its a big call to get it into this sphere, for its AF and ISO performance are quite lacking against this formidable opposition.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:53 AM   #14

Hi Riley

I just read a review on Amateur Photographer UK today comparing the 7D and the 5DMKII and the conclusion was that the 7D was nearly as good IQ wise as the 5D and that that was a first for any APS camera. They were quiet surprised at how well the 7D did against the 5DMKII across the board - esp AF and IQ and thats where the E3 replacement needs to be or in my thoughts even better than the 7D. I'll see if I can get a copy of the magazine and post a few quotes.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:21 PM   #15

yeah its all singing all dancing isnt it.

People have posted comparisons at dpr, and it just doesnt seem possible to tell the difference IMO, and its noise performance is a cut above 50D to boot. With the rather better edge performance of EF-S wides on this body I have to admit its rather tempting, just look at how the MTF improves between 350D and 50D at 10mm

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/17...review?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/40...45_50d?start=1

and there are other lens choices to examine too

Im foolishly hanging in there for E4, the next possible launch window is in 2 days, but my AF went all flakey 2 weeks ago, only to be restored with a firm slap on on the body. Its a worry....

Last edited by Rriley; Mar 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM.
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote