Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Yeah and it's too bad that the Oly E-3/E-30 DSLR design doesn't let us change focus screens like the OM film cameras (and most others) did.

The only reason I knew about this was because I was interested in a classic split-image focus screen on my E-3 just to do MF fine tuning of images. So I checked out Katz Eye and was floored by the fact that it's not practical. (Although I do appreciate the fact that Katz Eye was honest.) I had figured that at some point I could see myself eating the cost of installing the Katz Eye screen but not if it screws up the exposures - life is complicated enough without that...

Ted
I have been giving thought to just buying a second e-500 and putting a katzeye or similar in the one i have since it needs a new focus screen anyway and leaving one as is since the regular one is better for macro work where the split screen usually just go black. Considering the price a used 500 goes for now it'd be a cheap way to go but having seen the improved quality with the newer models I'm not so sure about it.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
I have been giving thought to just buying a second e-500 and putting a katzeye or similar in the one i have since it needs a new focus screen anyway and leaving one as is since the regular one is better for macro work where the split screen usually just go black. Considering the price a used 500 goes for now it'd be a cheap way to go but having seen the improved quality with the newer models I'm not so sure about it.

John

Hi,

Another alternative, again for the purposes of manually focusing, is the E-1. The E-1 OPV is large, bright and there are focusing screens available. An inexpensive answer while providing really fine image quality.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

Another alternative, again for the purposes of manually focusing, is the E-1. The E-1 OPV is large, bright and there are focusing screens available. An inexpensive answer while providing really fine image quality.

Zig
That's also something I have thought about. The loss of MP concerns me a bit, I'd have to compare the quality. From your reply am I safe to assume it's better than the e-500? I don;t do any prints larger than 8x12 so 5MP would still be plenty.

John
Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
That's also something I have thought about. The loss of MP concerns me a bit, I'd have to compare the quality. From your reply am I safe to assume it's better than the e-500? I don;t do any prints larger than 8x12 so 5MP would still be plenty.

John
Is it better than the E-500?........ For the purposes of manually focusing and changing screens, yes I believe it is a major step up. The E-1 viewfinder is much larger than the one found in the E-500. Which, I think is the biggest reason to have one when manually focusing. The 5MP vs 8MP is negligible.
Greg Chappell has posted many shots taken with his E-1 and they're outstanding. Certainly anything printed up to 16 x 12 would be acceptable.

The major caveat is that neither has image stabilization, a feature that would provide significant benefit when using long lenses. But a tripod would take care of that issue.
Again, the newer Olympus dslr's have major improvements built in and should not be overlooked. But, for the price, it is still difficult to beat the E-1 for your purposes.

Zig
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Is it better than the E-500?........ For the purposes of manually focusing and changing screens, yes I believe it is a major step up. The E-1 viewfinder is much larger than the one found in the E-500. Which, I think is the biggest reason to have one when manually focusing. The 5MP vs 8MP is negligible.
Greg Chappell has posted many shots taken with his E-1 and they're outstanding. Certainly anything printed up to 16 x 12 would be acceptable.

The major caveat is that neither has image stabilization, a feature that would provide significant benefit when using long lenses. But a tripod would take care of that issue.
Again, the newer Olympus dslr's have major improvements built in and should not be overlooked. But, for the price, it is still difficult to beat the E-1 for your purposes.

Zig
Zig
Thanks Zig! I checked out Greg's work with the E-1 and I can't see any flaws in them at all. Of course Greg is a much better photographer than I but it shows what that camera is capable of. I'll keep an eye out for one as I'm not serious enough or good enough to justify the cost of an E-3 yet.
It is too bad the E-1 doesn't have IS, that would be handy with the lengths i shoot and the fact I don;t like lugging around a tripod.

John