Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Default Scott Kelby's "Photoshop for Digital Photographers" class

I attended it in DC yesterday. It was very good - thanks for the heads up, Greg!

I would recommend it to the folks in this forum but it's not clear that he's doing another one after Chicago on April 9 and Atlanta on May 28. You do get information worth the $100 cost.

As Greg C. noted about the one in Texas, this one also had at least 700 people. I was glad I got there rather early because even with two large screens you'd have a hard time seeing the details from more than halfway back in the (very large) room. Also as Greg noted, he provides a booklet with all the content of the presentations so you can pay close attention to the screen without worrying about taking notes. And he indeed does have a good sense of humor.

In the past I haven't shot RAW much because when I do an event and come home with over 100 images, even after I throw more than half of them away that's still been way more Photoshop than I have time for. But ACR, especially with his recommended workflow and tips, makes RAW a lot easier and faster.

Ted

PS: Kelby has quite an operation going - definitely a photographer making money in the world of photography. 700 people X $100 = $70K in one day. Even after expenses it has to be quite profitable. And then there's the books, DVDs, and the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP)...

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:47 PM   #2

He''s minting it ... !! He's good though.. very good... damn better stop plugging him!

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post

PS: Kelby has quite an operation going - definitely a photographer making money in the world of photography. 700 people X $100 = $70K in one day. Even after expenses it has to be quite profitable. And then there's the books, DVDs, and the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP)...
Absolutely....big time!

Even with the great tips, working 100+ RAW files in ACR and Photoshop is not an easy task, time-wise, unless the files are close enough together in exposure that you can apply the same adjustments to lots of files at once in a batch process, which I have never used in Photoshop as there's usually enough of a difference from file to file that I want to make differing tweeks. ACR is so much more useful today than it was back in 2006 when I came home from Europe with 1600 RAW files from my E300!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:36 PM   #4

Harj,

He is very good. But after talking to him I walked away with the same feeling I had after meeting Larry Ellison, the owner of Oracle, who's ego would not fit within a large meeting room.

In these seminars Kelby is pretty much like a king holding court. I realized that him having a sense of humor should not be confused with any sort of humility.

In my profession we are anal about the accuracy of the User Guides for the software we write. When I found a mistake in the handout for the seminar, I foolishly assumed he would want to know about it and correct it before the next printing. Even though I gently asked him if he wanted to know about the mistake, I was way wrong - he was genuinely offended and obnoxious about my suggestion.

All that said, his seminar was great and is worth attending.

Ted
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Absolutely....big time!

Even with the great tips, working 100+ RAW files in ACR and Photoshop is not an easy task, time-wise, unless the files are close enough together in exposure that you can apply the same adjustments to lots of files at once in a batch process, which I have never used in Photoshop as there's usually enough of a difference from file to file that I want to make differing tweeks. ACR is so much more useful today than it was back in 2006 when I came home from Europe with 1600 RAW files from my E300!
Hi, Greg

Yeah, for me also there's enough of a difference from file to file to not batch process, except in the white balance. But I think I will take more RAW on the images I shoot for myself, to get more experience with the latest ACR. I suspect I may be able to batch process more than I have realized in the past.

Once again, thanks for the suggestion to attend Kelby's seminar - I appreciate it. please let us know if you come acoss other seminars we might find useful.

Ted
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:45 PM   #6

I stayed away from the podium during the intermissions....sounds like a good thing I did!

The one major thing I took away from the class and did was to go home and fiddle with the ACR default options so image files would open up looking more closely like they looked on the cameras' back LCD. Unfortunately Adobe provides none of the camera specific default parameter sets like they do for Nikon and Canon users. Left on it's own using the system default settings or, worse yet, with everything turned off, you can have quite a mountain to climb starting from scratch with a RAW file in ACR.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Unfortunately Adobe provides none of the camera specific default parameter sets like they do for Nikon and Canon users. Left on it's own using the system default settings or, worse yet, with everything turned off, you can have quite a mountain to climb starting from scratch with a RAW file in ACR.
The irony is that the pix I shoot for an event, probably have enough similarity that if I take the time to set up an Oly default, batch processing in ACR might work. Not so with my personal images where no conditions are likely to be common.

Ted
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:02 PM   #8

Quote:
I stayed away from the podium during the intermissions....sounds like a good thing I did!
My impression at the podium was that he was really enjoying the requests to autograph purchases folks had made of his stuff for sale in the lobby. Not interested in a gentle suggestion about a correction in his work.

Nevertheless, I have ordered his photography books (as opposed to his PP books) because after looking at the copies in the lobby they seemed to be like the PP seminar - succinct tips and tricks. But I hate to say it - after my experience with him I did take some thoroughly childish satisfaction in buying them from Amazon rather than at the seminar. But he was so different than the professional IT folks I work with that he really caught me off balance. He's the CEO of a complex company but so is my boss, who would never have reacted that way...

8-)

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 2, 2010 at 5:14 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:34 PM   #9

Hi Ted

if your looking at having to batch process lots of pics, then have a look at LR. The work flow will be the same as ACR but there's a few more additional tools there but what really differentiates the PSHOP ACR and LR is the way you can manage and then batch process your images.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:45 PM   #10

Thanks Harj

I'll take a look at LR - it has a good reputation.

Although I have to say that I'm not enthusiastic about spending more money on Adobe products and their never-ending expensive upgrades.

Ted