Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:21 PM   #1

Default Some Living Things Believe Spring Is Coming

Actually this is me practicing the ACR tips from Kelby's class, on a RAW file I took today. I have CS3 so the latest ACR I can use is 4.6 - the ACR versions 5.x (which is what he was teaching) only work with CS4.

But even in ACR 4.6 I'm enjoying the results:

http://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/Other-...49_pNnSR-L.jpg

Here is the original OOC jpeg from the L1. I used to think the L1's jpegs were good, until Greg C. got me on this RAW/ACR road. (Just kidding, Greg - I'm glad you opened my eyes on this.)

http://tkurkowski.smugmug.com/photos...33_YiKp8-L.jpg

BTW, this was taken with the Leica D Vario-Elmarit Aspherical 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6, at 150mm. I mention this because I was only maybe 1.5 feet away from the sprouts and it would have focused closer if I had moved in even more - it's close to being a macro lens. It's common for folks on DPR to bash the PL lenses for their cost, but they're at least as good as Oly SHG glass even if they're not weatherproofed, and this one has ILIS.

Ted

PS: After futzing around with the Smugmug settings beacuse of the LA Zoo issue, now the links above don't load the files directly. Aaaargh...

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:35 PM   #2

Looks like you used the recovery slider a little bit there, assuming it's an option in that version of ACR. I skipped the CS3 upgrade and felt like it was Christmas morning the first time I opened a file in ACR after upgrading from CS2 to CS4.

I turned my printing settings off in some of my Smugmug folders, but left all of the "protected" security settings set to "off", which allows you to add hyperinks.

The PL 14-150 is the best lens of its' type for any small format. The price is very appropriate for what you get, especially when you compare it against what I see as the one and only close-to identical optical quality option that gives a full-frame user the same set of focal lengths in one package, the Canon 28-300 f3.5-5.6L..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6L_IS_USM.html

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:22 PM   #3

Thanks Greg

I'm still futzing with the Smugmug settings but I suspect my problem is a lack of enthusiasm on a Friday night after a long week of work. I do like Smugmug in general but their menus baffle me. My customers would never put up with a menu structure like that for the software apps we write for them.

I find all 3 PL lenses to be great. The ZD 12-60 is probably better than the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm but the PL does have ILIS which is why I kept it. And although the Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 doesn't have ILIS (a 25mm doesn't really need it) and it's price is controversial versus the Sigma 30mm, when you take all 3 of the PL lenses together they give you a kit with the L1 that fits in a small Tamrac and can shoot anything with great IQ - I can toss the Tamrac in the car and be ready for anything as long as it's outdoor daylight. (I still have to use the E3 with the SHG lenses for indoor available light.) The 14-150 is a bit on the slow side but it's incredibly small - the same size as the PL 14-50mm at about 3.5" long. That whole set of glass amazes me and really makes me wish that Panny hadn't abandoned 4/3 and their Leica connection, although I do understand their business motivation to switch to 43.

But like Kelly Johnson and the Lockheed Skunkworks doing the SR-71 Blackbird, the Panny/Leica team was one time when a small group of folks got everything right at that time. As an engineer, my hat is off to them and I treasure their results even though the L1 itself is somewhat outdated by today's technology. What a jewel of a system, and it's aready disappearing in terms of being able to buy it.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Mar 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote