Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:47 PM   #11

Greg, it is impossible to describe the viewing difference between the MAC 27 and what I've been using. I'm having fun again seeing photos as they are, these are really nice.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
...but it's always interesting getting another perspective.
Absolutely. But let me tell you, I got nailed at getdpi.com for cropping someone else's image as it had raised some discussion about whether there was too much at the top vs. too much at the bottom of the image. In fact, the guy's name is Godfrey, who was mentioned in a different post here at Steve's for writing something about MF technique. I'm so glad that the culture here is so much different...people are just a lot friendlier and the forum is used as a place to share our work and learn as opposed to an art gallery with big signs of "DO NOT TOUCH MY ART WORK" all over the place.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
That's alright. Like I said, it's just an idea. I thought the picture seemed a little busy... thought it might be an idea to just take the middle and draw they eyes to that which is in clear focus. Anyway, just an idea. All the best. Ned
I did like your version, too. Definitely fits with the direction of the branch.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Absolutely. But let me tell you, I got nailed at getdpi.com for cropping someone else's image as it had raised some discussion about whether there was too much at the top vs. too much at the bottom of the image. In fact, the guy's name is Godfrey, who was mentioned in a different post here at Steve's for writing something about MF technique. I'm so glad that the culture here is so much different...people are just a lot friendlier and the forum is used as a place to share our work and learn as opposed to an art gallery with big signs of "DO NOT TOUCH MY ART WORK" all over the place.
I know exactly who you are talking about. I didn't read the post as I have never been on getdpi.com, but his handle is the same everywhere. I've seen at least one other user at DPReview get all bent out of shape over an image someone played with. He has a similar line in his signature page about not touching his work.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Greg, it is impossible to describe the viewing difference between the MAC 27 and what I've been using. I'm having fun again seeing photos as they are, these are really nice.
That's a BIG screen! I need to go to the Apple Store at North Park Mall or on Knox Street and take a look.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:26 PM   #16

...it is BIG & it takes a bit to get used to it, but once tuned in it is an amazing amount of video work space that is truly workable.

I spent some time with the 21.5 & 27 side by side, the decision was rather easy knowing that if I did not do the 27 I would forever be regretful, besides I already had/have a 22" 16x9 monitor.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:36 AM   #17

greg, great pics, #6 with the student really grabs my attention with the framing effect of the trees, & the one knot in the tree he is leaning against adds a little bit of mystery to the story. i get the feeling of an elder watching him with his studies.
charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
greg, great pics, #6 with the student really grabs my attention with the framing effect of the trees, & the one knot in the tree he is leaning against adds a little bit of mystery to the story. i get the feeling of an elder watching him with his studies.
charles
This one is my favorite of the group, too.

When I shot it, I should have dialed in at least 1/3 stop negative exposure compensation but in my haste to shoot and not be seen, I failed to do so. On loading the image to my computer, the lighter areas were a little too light, so I used the recovery slider in ACR to tone down the highlights and used the targeted adjustment tool to bring the levels down on the darker, crossing tree branch, which also helped with the contrast on the tree the student was sitting against. The Large Superfine JPEG's give you a lot of wiggle room in making adjustments.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:33 PM   #19

Greg: once again, an excellent series of shots.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote