Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2010, 7:48 AM   #1

Default Random images from Florida's SouthWest coast

I've finally been able to download some images onto Smugmug. The condo complex we're in has a wifi hotspot in the club room but doesn't extend far enough to be able to get online from the our unit. Which simply means, I've got to drag the Imac down to the room. Not the most convenient of arrangements. But anyways, a few random images from Naples, Marco and surrounding area.

The bird shots were taken with ann E-30 / 70-300mm The other two were taken with the 12-60mm. I'm developing a real appreciation for the 70-300mm lens. The quality of the images for the cost of that relatively small and light lens continues to surprise me.

zig
Attached Images

Last edited by zig-123; Mar 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 8:15 AM   #2

This shot was of interest to me because the Pelican was flying so low that it's wing was cutting the water. Taken with an E-30 and Sigma 135-400mm at 400mm. Didn't have much time to position myself for a better composition as the bird was moving pretty fast and I just caught him out of the corner of my eye.

And yes, the water is actually that color. The wind down here has been relentless and has roiled the water to a unpleasant muddy color.
Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3

Images #2 and 3 from the initial post look like pop art shots the color is so intense.

The pelican shot was tricky. That lighting is very harsh and the metering system did very well to keep from just going over the top and clipping the detail in the top-side feathers, and detail is retained in all the shadows, not to mention bringing a lens like that to bear quickly on a moving subject, getting it in focus and a well-composed shot off is not easy.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4

Default A picture is worth a thousand words...

...When it comes to weather.

Its like I know exactly what the weather is like and you didn't need to say a word (except for the wind comments that is)

Greg

Last edited by fldspringer; Mar 7, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:12 AM   #5

.....nice shots Zig, I agree with Greg's comments, that would be tricky alright.

Shucks, i made an attempt at a 'flyover' turkey buzzard the other day and it didn't work out at all, the buzzard was only floating around..... no bird's for me, I like seeing yours and am satisfied.

Bummer about the WiFi and the wind....
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:54 AM   #6

Hi Greg,

You're right on the image of the flag. I decided to set the mode to pop art and see what came out. The colors may be too intense, but I like it.
I may tone it down some when I get home. Just to see how it prints.

As for the Pelican .... yes, the afternoon Sun, here near the water tends to be pretty harsh with lots of reflections off the water. Given the circumstances, the E-30 held it's own pretty well.

Hi Bob,

I know what you mean about the Turkey Buzzard................
One bird that seems to be rather prevalent here in Florida is the Turkey Buzzard. It's rather easy getting a shot of one of them soaring or just suspended in the air as they ride the wind currents. Unfortunately, the bird's colors are so dark and monotone that every image i've taken is just drab with no detail at all. I've decided to look for other birds to shoot.

Zig
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:30 AM   #7

zig, i really like the 5 pelican pano crop, very nice & interesting comp.
charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
...I'm developing a real appreciation for the 70-300mm lens. The quality of the images for the cost of that relatively small and light lens continues to surprise me.
This used to be my fav. ZD lens. Unfortunately, I made the poor decision of selling it along with all my Oly gear about a year or so ago. Now I'm contemplating buying it again to use with my m4/3 cameras. My only concern is the size. The lens alone is not too huge considering its FL but by the time I add the adapter to it, it might be just a bit too big. I'm waiting for the Lumix 100-300mm. Since it's been designed for the m4/3, it will be much more compact and there will be no need for adapters. The only caveat is the price.

BTW, very nice shots, Zig.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:58 PM   #9
Super Moderator

very nice set zig.

i really love #2 with the repeating umbrellas in the sunset.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:01 PM   #10

Having fun down there aren't you Ziggy? The sun is shining here but it's still cool.

Nice random selection of shots, pelican's make great subjects don't they.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote