Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:01 PM   #11

Hi Zig,

I like your photos. I think the lens system is doing very well here.

Your photos show one thing that I want to mention. Your lens/TC combo have an open aperture of f7 at the long end. Since its either that or stopped down even more, I'd like to point out the depth of field. There is not alot at 400mm f7, just enough for a bird that fills the frame well.

The 50-200/TC-20 is a useful package, as you have proved. Its portability is a big plus.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:05 PM   #12

.....and maybe stack a couple EC-20!
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Olympus only allows one extra. Stack anything and you loose electronic contact (aperture control).

That's likely ok, since you'd be down to f14 at the long end anyway.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hi, Zig. These look pretty darn good! Just think how good they'd probably be after you had a chance to really play around and get used to using it. I have tried my EC20 with the 70-300 and it was a no-go as well. Not very good. I have seen images posted over at DPReview where the 70-300 was used with the EC14 with very good results. The EC20 is just one stop too much.
Hi Greg,

I haven't yet had a chance to try the combo out in the early morning or late afternoon Sun as the timing and weather just hasn't worked out as yet. But I think that's when I might be able to get better feather detail and greater clarity.

And, as Greg (the northern one) correctly pointed out, I've got to do a better job of stopping down the aperture setting to maximize DOF. I forgot that by adding the EC-20 you lose 2 stops.

This combo doesn't compare to the output of Greg's 300mm 2.8, but I'm a lot more mobile with this outfit than lugging that beast around all day.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
You're right Ted. He should try for something like this:
Hi Ted/Steven,

Interestingly, I have seen only two gators since we've been here. And, they were babies, less than 3ft long. We've trekked through two wildlife refuges and taken the airboat ride through the Everglades so far and, to this point, that's been it. Looks like the cold temps have caused the alligators to become very inactive-or we're looking in the wrong places.

Now, Pythons are another matter. Game wardens caught an 11ft python just a few miles from here, in Rookery Bay. They are trying to thin out the Python population in Southwestern Florida which has really grown here since they were first released into the wilds here. They have caught more than 20 of the snakes in recent days with the largest being over 30ft in length.

Yikes
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:07 AM   #16

Default Hi Guys,

Thanks to all who have taken the time to look and comment. Your comments are always much appreciated.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:16 AM   #17

Quote:
......hi hi Greg,

Just my take on Steven's 'gator chant to Zig and my attempt at humor! It popped in behind your comment instead of Steven's.

Zig, I saw a news bit about those snakes (in Florida) and the big ones are way too big for my liking, pretty much as with Steven's gators.

boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted/Steven,

Interestingly, I have seen only two gators since we've been here. And, they were babies, less than 3ft long. We've trekked through two wildlife refuges and taken the airboat ride through the Everglades so far and, to this point, that's been it. Looks like the cold temps have caused the alligators to become very inactive-or we're looking in the wrong places.

.................................................. ...................................
Yikes
Hi zig: you are right, the cold winter sent the wild aligators into inactiviy or something. They have all but disappeared from the lakes around our subdivision.

I was just having a little fun with Ted by posting the ugliest, biggest gator shot I had. You can be sure that the gator shots that I take of wild gators are 4 ft or less. The shots of the really big boys are always from behind a fence or a thick glass wall in a zoo or park. There is no way that I would get close to a really big gator in the wild.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Now, Pythons are another matter. Game wardens caught an 11ft python just a few miles from here, in Rookery Bay. They are trying to thin out the Python population in Southwestern Florida which has really grown here since they were first released into the wilds here. They have caught more than 20 of the snakes in recent days with the largest being over 30ft in length.

Yikes
I watched a show not that long ago....I think it was on the National Geographic channel, about the "python wars" going on down there in Florida. They are not in the area naturally. So many owners have turned them out into the wild and they are now reproducing and reaking havoc with species that have always been there. They even showed one that had died after it had successfully swallowed a whole, huge alligator. Gadzooks, that was amazing to see.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I was just having a little fun with Ted by posting the ugliest, biggest gator shot I had.
And all kidding aside, I really like that photo. I get a real sense of what he's actually thinking about, and it's not a good outcome for whatever he's looking at.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote