Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
ted, the class started with basics getting users to get out of auto modes (which most on this forum probably did years ago). then there was a pretty decent slide show(except for pics)/hands on portrait setup with fl50r flashes. for people not experienced in the "strobist's style" this part would be very useful. the last part was on macro, again basic, no super make you a pro tomorrow hints.
charles
Thanks, Charles. I was wondering if it was worth my signing up for one of their classes. Thanks for saving me the money (grin).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:57 AM   #12

I do think we did miss an opportunity while at the Phipps was really taking macros in the garden. When we broke for lunch four of us sat at one of tables in the restaurant then the one gentleman (white beard who's ring we used for macro) took us on a small tour, it was near the end when I realized take out your camera and flash and take some images.
I notice Brian asked that gentleman about use of tripods at the Phipps and he said you could. Its a shame who set it up did not touch base on that fact as I would have brought a tripod.
I did ask him that it would have been nice if the FL50r came with a jack at the base to use a receiver for off camera flash. He did say that he did check the forums but don't know if that is true.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio
LouCioccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:50 AM   #13

lou, like we were discussing at lunch the fl50r remote system works very good indoors but outdoors it is all but useless, so your question to olympus about the jack i feel is a very valid one. i do a fair amount of strobist style stuff, using used nikon flashes i picked up cheap with paul c. buff radio triggers. i would really like to see olympus develop an in camera radio trigger system. with radios in the camera & flash this would eliminate the need for any external triggering device at all. But i can tell from my expierence in the electronic & rf industries this would be very expensive to develop as the processors used in digital cameras today are very sensitive to emi, and the internal shielding required would increase camera bulk. but it would still be nice to have.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:10 AM   #14

I have been using the radio triggers with FL50's and a Sekonic combo flash meter and have used them outdoors. I ended up drilling the locking hole with a template more out of fear of the FL falling out. It worked. I did some with the FL50r using an Apollo Wescott soft box the large 50 inch one indoors. The sensor pointed out to the person but covered by the white fabric and the head pointed inside at metallic fabric. I had the other one with an umbrella and a small soft box on a boom for a hair light. It actually worked it was a large room with a bank of windows behind me and an overcast day. If it did not work I was going to set it as an optical slave. So I think I was getting the signal bounced off the wall.
Just good to know that they (fl'r) are not going to be successful outside on bright days although they have worked at sunsets in the background.
I would like to go back to the Phipps and take more images there as it was quite fascinating.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio

Sure wished we would have name tags and a roster.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:10 PM   #15

lou, yeah one thing i had intended to do but forgot, was to get the attendee's e-mail addresses. if you would like to contact me to maybe get together sometime to shoot, you can contact me through my website at coyotemountain.photium.com it is currently under construction & i hope to have the domain name registered by the end of the week then it will be www.coyotemountain.com, but for now do not enter any prefix into the web address.
charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:59 PM   #16

Charles,
www.loucioccio.com and www.holyrosaryerie.org
email is lcioccioatmac.com
not sure if the email gets blocked.
We did the Kelby Photo Walk back in July 18, 2009 and when I scheduled I forgot that I was working our church festival that day so i made the theme Sunrise in Erie. We had 15 people registered even though that the time was at 5AM at Presque Isle State Park. Rainy day, glad I used the E1 and 11-22, was not worried. 9 hardy souls showed and one fellow was from Meadville and had never been to the Park so we ended up giving him the grand tour. When we were done we had breakfast outside the Park at Taki's (local restaurant) and a couple of them joined our local photo club and others joined the local computer club.
Right now I am getting ready to teach our Elements 8 class for computer club this April. Its on Monday and Wednesday from 7 to 9 in the evenings and runs through the month. More info at the church web site.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio
Both sites made with iWeb