Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:29 PM   #1

Default olympus dslr class: the good & the bad

hi all, as promised here is my opinions & experiences of the dslr class olympus held in pittsburgh today.

the good
1. surprisingly they really did not push products at all. (about 30 sec. spent promoting photoflex soft boxes which he used for hands on training)
2. the instructor was a well versed photographer (see bad for more on this)
3. huge selection of cameras and lenses for playing with including all of the mft cameras.
4. excellent local venue Phipps conservatory. (see bad for more on this)
5. instructor & regional sales director extremely interested in feed back on products "we take seriously all concerns & ideas, they will be forwarded"
6. decent end of class feedback form for writing in the above.
7. received an olympus thumb drive with entire course on it.
the bad
1. extremely basic course. (which i was expecting)
2. slide photographs of poor quality not a good demonstration of the abilities of olympus cameras.
3. instructor other than being a photographer, is a technical representative, & also has something to do with marketing. as with a lot of companies, this multi-role hat definitely wore on the effectiveness of the overall presentation.
4. all hands on instruction was done in auditorium, had a great location at the conservatory but failed to use any of the magnificent subjects available.
5. low turnout, only 8 seats filled out of a possible 30.
overall i was satisfied with the program, as i got more info off topic on breaks which is what i was really looking for. was it worth $100? i will have to think on that a little longer.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:39 PM   #2

Default now for the "rumors"

these are the things the instructor let slip or intentionally released.
1. Olympus studio will soon be discontinued.
2. new $399 range mft camera in the works.
3. E-3 replacement will be released to marketing dept. by end of year.
4. 100mm/f4 macro at "head of lens road map" & currently being worked on.
i am in no way confirming the last 2 just saying those word slipped out of his mouth.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:46 PM   #3

I don't think I would have shelled out $100 for it, to be honest, but you really don't know what to expect before going in. Thanks to you, I do NOW.

Did they offer the attendees a chance to critique the class and ask for suggested improvements?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
hi all, as promised here is my opinions & experiences of the dslr class olympus held in pittsburgh today.
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm wondering what the Oly class was all about. Basic taking pix with a DSLR? More advanced techniques? Equipment?

Just wondering...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:05 PM   #5

gary, yes they did provide forms for critiques, which is the first time i have seen this from a photo based seminar. one of the questions i asked of the regional manager & the instructor was the lack of web presence,advertising, & face to face programs like the one today. the answer was money. olympus heavily invests in their lens research & new technology not so much in advertising. i understand this philosophy to a certain point. i feel olympus is leading the pack in innovation but they are letting the other big 2 steal their thunder because of minimal advertising.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:14 PM   #6

ted, the class started with basics getting users to get out of auto modes (which most on this forum probably did years ago). then there was a pretty decent slide show(except for pics)/hands on portrait setup with fl50r flashes. for people not experienced in the "strobist's style" this part would be very useful. the last part was on macro, again basic, no super make you a pro tomorrow hints.
charles
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:56 PM   #7

Quote:
gary, yes they did provide forms for critiques, which is the first time i have seen this from a photo based seminar. one of the questions i asked of the regional manager & the instructor was the lack of web presence,advertising, & face to face programs like the one today. the answer was money. olympus heavily invests in their lens research & new technology not so much in advertising. i understand this philosophy to a certain point. i feel olympus is leading the pack in innovation but they are letting the other big 2 steal their thunder because of minimal advertising.
I concur. While I'm certainly appreciative of the R&D that Oly does, I think they ought to let people know just how innovative and quality-minded they really are.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:54 AM   #8

Quote:
1. Olympus studio will soon be discontinued.
There's been Oly sites showing a new program called "ib" (Image Browser).

I can understand the reason for Oly wanting to discontinue support of Studio as most prefer to use the free Master software...and of course they received a lot of complaints about lack of speed of their software.

That's not to say I'm not disappointed as having been an early Studio user (starting with 1.2).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:36 AM   #9

It comes with the epl-1 it is the replacement of Master 2. It currently works only on pc's. I have played around with it on a pc, but I rather us my mac and aperture.

Right now IB seems to have a problem doing firmware updates. It will let you transfer the photo, but has a glitch that grays out the firmware update part.

So oly sent me a like to a stand alone firmware program that work on the mac and pc.

Interesting a 400 dollar m4/3. Guess it will be really geared toward the point and shooter looking to upgrade but not as big a step as the epl-1 would be. Maybe something alone the lines of the new sony alpha evil. No evf option, just a lcd, gui instead of a control dial, no external mic option. Trying to steal sony's thunder for a change.

With that price point, they are targeting would be bridge camera buyers, like the canon G, S and SX line up and nikon p90, p6000

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 14, 2010 at 4:52 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:32 AM   #10

shoturtle, you are right the instructor said the new cheap mft camera will be aimed at p&s'ers getting them to cross the bridge into the interchangeable lens market. he said it will be a "dumbed down epl-1
charles